German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Degenerative Myelopathy? Hip Dysplasia? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/483265-degenerative-myelopathy-hip-dysplasia.html)

sadiesworld 08-26-2014 06:10 PM

Degenerative Myelopathy? Hip Dysplasia?

Hey all!
I'm new to these forums and I don't have a German Shepard. I have a 2 year old Golden Retriever.
But, I hear that GSD get DM a lot. Which is an extremely sad and unfortunate case.
Sadie is my first dog. She is my life. She is healthy and happy. The only issue is, is that when we go out for walks she sometimes scrapes her nails on the pavement. This happens about 1-3 times on her walks. She's been doing this for at LEAST a year. Could this be DM?
Yesterday, we went to the park. We haven't been to the park in ages. It was extremely busy every second runners or bikers would ride by. Sadie scraped her nails at least 15 times. I was in a panic. The day before she had only scraped them once.
I took her home and had her walk in the neighborhood. She scraped them once and that was it. It's been hot and humid recently, maybe that could contribute to this? I'm not sure.

I'm taking her to the vet on the 3rd for X-Rays. I'm very scared.

Could you share your knowledge on DM and how it starts out? What else could this nail scraping be?

Thank you so much.

-Sadie and Alyssa

sadiesworld 08-26-2014 06:11 PM

I should add that when I fold her back paws under, she quickly corrects them.

Andaka 08-26-2014 06:19 PM

It is mmost likely a back problem -- pinched nerve or something.

sadiesworld 08-26-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andaka (Post 5948305)
It is mmost likely a back problem -- pinched nerve or something.

Thank you. I hope it is something simple and something that doesn't hurt my baby.

sadiesworld 08-26-2014 06:42 PM

Or nothing at all. :)

Liesje 08-26-2014 06:45 PM

2 years seems very young for DM. Hip x-rays will immediately rule in/out HD so that's good. My adult male GSD scraped his nails on one back foot for a while after a back injury from a bad fall. That injury flairs up every once in a while and I notice him occasionally scraping, but it's never enough to actually wear the nails (I still trim all his nails) and his musculature in the rear is very even, it's not like he's favoring one side. Unfortunately his back injury is something I always have to take into account, but this dog is still doing flyball, agility, dock diving, frisbee/disc dog just fine.

carmspack 08-26-2014 06:50 PM

To ease your worries you can get a DNA from DDC Veterinary DNA Test for Canine Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)

what are the statistics ?

for your dog it may be condition, angulation/conformation -- over exertion, dehydration, have the vet give a thorough examination

sadiesworld 08-26-2014 07:33 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

Would the vet be able to see if this is just how she is built from the x-Ray?

sadiesworld 08-26-2014 07:55 PM

And, would she have other symptoms other than this nail scrapping?

carmspack 08-26-2014 08:27 PM

the vet would see if there is hip dysplasia , with beginnings of arthritic changes

a picture will give a clue as to the conformation -- so send the forum a picture of the dog from the side

some dogs have exaggerated or excessive rear angulation which is awkward at a walk