What is the best meds. To give for heartworm, hookworm, fleas, ticks, etc.? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question What is the best meds. To give for heartworm, hookworm, fleas, ticks, etc.?

So was looking into Heartguard but read some of the chewables did not work against all strains of heartworm. This was back in 2011 though.

We are currently giving advantage multi. Ht it's the kind you put along their backs in liquid form. We have read that this is very toxic though and not good to use.

Any suggestions? Or should we just stay with the advantage multi?
Thanks
GSD Owner in Training :-) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I suggest you do as much research as possible before you make a decision. Any treatment has risks.

I personally use ivermectin for Heartworm, and Summertime garlic for flea and tick prevention.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I switched to Advantage Multi last year after doing a lot of research -- including looking at the study on resistant strains. I think it's the best product in its class for our area. I'm in an area where HW is endemic, and where there are ivm-resistant strains documented: the Gulf Coast of the United States.

If I were not in an endemic area, and not in an area with documented ivm-resistance (i.e., where you are), I would still be using ivm-based products (Heartgard, Pet Trust, Triheart Plus, Iverheart -- all the same basic product). The reason is not only that it costs 1/3 what Multi costs, but you can use separate the flea prevention from the HW prevention if you want to. Ivermectin has also been used safely at this dose for decades (absent MDR 1 genes) and the doseage in these pills is very tiny. It's the most studied, most widely used HW prevention, and it works effectively for millions of dogs.

Unfortunately, ivermectin is no longer a great option for those of us in the Mississippi Delta, due to the resistance problem that's developing down here. You don't have resistant strains, and may never get them, as you are protected by a long, cold winter.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use Heartgard Plus for heartworm, roundworms and hookworms. I have never had a problem with Heartgard. I do not like to bundle HW treatment with flea/tick treatment as flea/tick is really not necessary year-round in Chicago or even every month during the time when HW medication is considered necessary in this area. I do HW year-round, but that is because my dog arrived into resuce HW+ so we are extra careful. Also, if I lived where Magwart lived, I would probably use one of the combo treatments because in her area fleas/ticks are a year-round problem.

In Chicago, during the prime flea/tick months, I use Frontline - but, my usage is dependent on the type of activities I am doing with my dog during those months. I have found that if we are largely doing stuff in the city, city parks, city lakes, etc... I haven't needed to administer Frontline. But, if we are going camping/hiking in wilderness areas or on a road trip to areas of the country with larger flea/tick populations, I will administer Frontline before the trip. This strategy has worked for me.

I should add that if I am fostering a dog during flea/tick months, I tend to administer Frontline to both my dog and the foster dog (if the foster dog has not already been given a flea/tick treatment).

Hope this helps

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 08-25-2014 at 09:05 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

David and others , please investigate some other preventive that does not have ivermectin

"

IVERMECTIN TOXICITY
This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which can lead to mange. Ivermectin prevents or kills parasites by causing neurological damage to the parasite, resulting in paralysis and death for the parasite. But dogs genetically sensitive to the medication have an anomaly that allows the ivermectin to pass the dog’s blood-brain barrier and into its central nervous system, which can be lethal for the animal.
About Ivermectin » Overview
  • Parasitic diseases are common in animals. Parasites can affect the skin, ears, stomach and intestines, and the internal organs including the heart, lungs and liver. Several drugs have been developed to kill or prevent parasites such as fleas, ticks, mites and worms. Ivermectin and related drugs are among the most effective of these.
  • Ivermectin is a parasite control drug. Ivermectin causes neurologic damage to the parasite, resulting in paralysis and death.
  • Ivermectin has been used to prevent parasite infections, as with heartworm prevention, and to treat infections, as with ear mites.
Ivermectin as a Heartworm Preventive Medication in Dogs
Ivermectin is approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to prevent heartworm infections in dogs. Products containing Ivermectin are normally administered monthly for heartworm prevention and include medications such as Heartgard®, Iverhart®, Tri-Heart® and many other generic ivermectin-based heartworm preventive medications.
When used as a heartworm preventive medicine, ivermectin is used at much lower dosages than when used for other purposes. When used at the lower heartworm prevention dosages, ivermectin has a much lower potential for side effects than when used at higher dosages and this is the reason that ivermectin is approved for use as a heartworm preventive medication but must be used off-label (in a fashion not approved by the FDA) for many other purposes.
Read more at Suite101: Ivermectin for Dogs: Usages, Safety and Side Effects of Ivermectin in Dogs
Brand Names and Other Names
  • This drug is registered for use in animals only.
  • Human formulations: None
  • Veterinary formulations: Ivomec® (Merial), Zimectrin® (Farnam), Eqvalan® (Merial), Heartgard® (Merial), Iverhart® (Virbac) and various generic preparations
Uses of Ivermectin
  • Ivermectin is used to control skin parasites, gastrointestinal parasites and parasites within the bloodstream.
  • Ivermectin prevents development of heartworm disease in dogs and cats.
  • Ivermectin can be used in an extra-label manner to kill microfilaria (microscopic offspring) in heartworm infected dogs.
  • Ivermectin is not effective against tapeworms and liver flukes.
How Ivermectin Is Supplied
  • Ivermectin is available in 10 mg/ml and 2.7 mg/ml injectable form; 0.153 percent and 1.87 percent paste form; 10 mg/ml liquid oral form and 68 mcg, 136 mcg and 272 mcg tablets.
  • Heartgard Plus® and Iverhart® are available in various concentrations of ivermectin combined with pyrantel pamoate.
Dosing Information
  • Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian. The dose for ivermectin varies from species to species and also depends on the intent of treatment. General dosing guidelines follow.
  • For dogs: Dose is 0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound (0.003 to 0.006 mg/kg) once a month for heartworm prevention; 0.15 mg per pound (0.3 mg/kg) once, then repeat in 14 days for skin parasites; and 0.1 mg per pound (0.2 mg/kg) once for gastrointestinal parasites.
  • For cats: Dose is 0.012 mg per pound (0.024 mg/kg) once monthly for heartworm prevention.
  • The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.