Does anyone else's dog have sores on only their hind legs??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone else's dog have sores on only their hind legs???

I've been trying to figure out what this is. My german shepherd has been having sores and scabbing on her hind legs. It's where her heel is (back feet, bottom area) particularly where there is very little hair. There's hair missing there and she is ALWAYS licking that area. It is red and sore. It's not bleeding but it has been like this for a few weeks now.
I tried flea medication because I had a dog that was allergic to fleas but it didn't help. I changed her diet to a different brand (hypo allergenic, grain free) and it didn't help so I tried changing back to her normal blue buffalo wilderness. Been a month since I changed back and no change.

I washed her sheets and the padding that she rides in when I take her in my car also and gave her a bath.

I looked it up and have had a dog in the past with hot spot issues. It doesnt seem to be allergies or fleas or hygiene. It's ONLY on her hind legs and actually her crotch area is also red and swollen, missing hair. There's no missing hair anywhere else (tail, front legs, inner legs, back, etc.) and she doesn't scratch anywhere else. Only licking her legs.

For sure I thought it was because the car hammock was filthy because based on the location of her sores, it is coming from her sitting position (hind legs and crotch). Can't think of any other scenarios.

Any suggestions?
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

It could be grass. Does she show irritation between her toes?

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Generally leg and paw licking an itching indicates an allergy of some sort. Animals can be allergic to some very strange things-just like people. Sounds like you've tried all the things I would have suggested to change first. It may be worthwhile to have him allergy tested to pinpoint exactly what it is that's irritating him.

It could be something as strange and simple (simple but obnoxious) as a grass allergy like David suggested.

I would start out taking him to a vet and let him/her take a look.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post some photos. Loosing hair on hind legs. Irritated belly, could be grass but could also be mange. My boy had similar side effects when he had mange. 1 dose of revolution and it was clear in a few days
d4mmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OP, the first thing that crossed my mind when reading your post was, "Where is the spot with very little hair?" There should be hair on their legs, everywhere except on the actual skin of the toes. So my immediate thought was that perhaps your dog is running on hard surfaces, and because of her conformation, she's rubbing those spots bald? And now they're getting raw, from too much of that? I could be all wrong.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

My had the same issie when we have played a ball for her on ashfalt pathway, she would run and stop abruptly causing scraping of bottom of her feet. Had to put crazy glue to help to heal and stopped her from playing on the pathway.
Waldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pictures? My pup has a similar problem. One sore on a hind leg near his paw, and two on the other side near his hock. I'm thinking it's something allergy related
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dog has a scabby area sounding similar to what you are describing...hers is on her left front leg, right at the elbow. I think that hers may be from a grain allergy because she itches often and has had yeast infections in her ears often. I recently switched her food and she already seems so much better.
EJBB8790 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here are some pictures for clarification. I dont let her run around on hard surfaces and we have carpet and hardwood mixture so I dont think they're pressure points.
I thought about mange but wouldn't mange be in random places and spreading, not just her legs?

I looked between her toes and it looks normal to me.
Her right foot (inner hind heel)

Same foot

Left Foot (outside edge)

Her crotch area. The skin between her private area and her anus seems swollen but I'm not entirely sure. Its definitely more noticeable than before but I dont know if that's because she's growing. It's not really red but I do see what appears like acne sometimes (little red bump) every now and then.

It's her birthday today
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Happy Birthday, what a cutie!
Nope, that's not what I was thinking of. Probably your vet would be the best bet - good luck with your sweet girl.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.