German Shepherds Forum banner

Freaking out

6K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  GSD Owner in Training :-) 
#1 ·
Our 91lb male GSD ate a diaper. I called our vet and she said to give him 1 tsp of salt and in 20min if he hadn't thrown up give him another tsp. so 30 min ago I gave him a tsp and no throw up, so 10 min ago I gave him another. Still no throw up. Then I was looking online and it said salt can kill dogs!! Now I'm framing out. I gave him 2 tsp is this enough to kill him? Why isn't he throwing it up? Really nervous and not sure what to do now :(
Please help!

#3 ·
NO!!! why do vets still recommend salt to induce vomiting?!? So old school.... and very dangerous. I would find a new vet fast.

Salt can mess with sodium levels in the blood.

Give him plenty of water. You can try hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit, but be warned that can cause gastric ulcers. Usually a lot safer than salt though. Give him 1/2 a cup, and then another 1/2 a cup in 10 minutes if he doesn't vomit

#4 ·
Salt? Never heard of that. If you want a dog to throw up, give him a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and wait 10-15. If he hasn't thrown up by then, give him another tablespoon. Basically the same thing as the salt, but with hydrogen peroxide instead.

It will definitely make him throw up if that's what your vet thinks is the best thing for eating a diaper. If it is or isn't, that I don't know.

#5 ·
After 4 hours everything moves through the stomach so I wouldn't bother much after that time frame

#6 ·
fresh bottle of peroxide on hand in your ER kit. Give a couple tsp of peroxide when dogs eat something like the above.

#9 ·
There is about a 45 minute time frame before it moved to the next area. I wouldn't induce vomitting after an hour. I have used salt and mustard in the past, not together.

#11 ·
Negative. It can take up to 4 hours for the stomach to normally clear out. A large object may take longer. I would still make the dog vomit in that 4 hour window

#12 ·
The stupid vet told me to not use hydrogen peroxide because it probably wouldn't work on a dog his size and is have to use ALOT of it and that salt would work much better. So p*ssed of at vets not knowing anything. You can't trust them with anything, they'll psuedoswearing see board rules and then blame everything but themselves.

#13 ·
I would give it to him now. It's only been an hour

#16 ·
Really, that much? I guess it doesn't matter since they're going to just throw it up anyways.

I always gave a tablespoon and waited. After 10 minutes, I'd give another tablespoon if the dog didn't throw up by then. That's typically been plenty in my experience. Haven't had to do it many times, but it's always worked.

#19 ·
At this point I'd much rather trust my partners opinion than that of the vet who told me to give him salt in the first place. I am going to stay up with him tonight to make sure he is ok and to look for any signs, as well as looking up online right now for mixing salt and peroxide together. And waiting to hear what people say on here and going to call 24 hour vet right now.

#21 ·
I'm not a vet or a tech but recently gave my 50lb 10 month old puppy a LOT of hydrogen peroxide. My sister was making bread from scratch and he ate a a ton of unrisen dough. We caught him in the act so he was immediately getting HP. He must have an iron gut because it seemed to take a lot before he barfed, though maybe a lot of it was running out of the side of his mouth. It took almost 45 minutes of giving him several tablespoons at a time and then walking him around. He definitely needed it though, we could see his gut expanding with the dough and at one point he was whining when my sister touched his stomach. Then out of nowhere he threw up twice in a row and that was it, the entire clump of dough was out and after a drink, he was happy as a clam.

#22 ·
You don't want to give a LOT. there's the possibility they won't vomit and it can cause gastric ulcers. But a cup for a large dog is ok.

I've had poor luck giving smaller amounts. I feel like I need to repeat doses more often than not. So for my own large dogs I go straight for half a cup

#29 ·
Didn't know Anubis was a vet tech. Sorry Anubis. I already called 24 hour vet and just got off the phone with them. She told me to give the peroxide, which I did and to wait to see if he throws up. She said the salt will be fine and agreed it's ok to use in an emergency. He ate about half the diaper but it was ripped open so a lot of it was over the floor. She said he probably didn't eat as much as I think he did and if he does not throw up than to just watch him really close for the next few days until it passes. And if we see him not eating, drinking, pooping, peeing or being him happy self then we are to take him in right away. But she doubts it will cause bloat and feels that it will pass and he will be ok.

#30 ·
"My dog ingested a disposable diaper": Pet Health Community - Support Group
yah i just looked that up!

Update. I took her to the emergency vet last night. Lucky for me he is right across the street. Her fever was well over 104. He gave her Barium for X-rays. It was in her stomach and intestines. She was extremely dehydrated because the material in the diaper was soaking up all her moisture. He kept her for 24 hours. She is home now, but I don't think she would have lived thru the night if I hadn't taken her. $1000.00 later, my fur kid is still with us. What an expensive lesson. Don't leave diapers in the house! Ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.