German Shepherds Forum banner

Freaking out

6K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  GSD Owner in Training :-) 
#1 ·
Our 91lb male GSD ate a diaper. I called our vet and she said to give him 1 tsp of salt and in 20min if he hadn't thrown up give him another tsp. so 30 min ago I gave him a tsp and no throw up, so 10 min ago I gave him another. Still no throw up. Then I was looking online and it said salt can kill dogs!! Now I'm framing out. I gave him 2 tsp is this enough to kill him? Why isn't he throwing it up? Really nervous and not sure what to do now :(
Please help!

#31 ·
Still didn't throw up. He's sleeping beside me, so I'll keep an eye on him tonight and tomorrow and any following day until I know 100% sure it has passed. Crossing fingers and praying it does.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and support. It is so nice to know there is somewhere to turn to for help and questions.

#33 ·
Tiniest bit funny, but no sooner did I send my last message, He got up walked to the end of the bed and threw up :-D and then he threw up 2 more times on my partners side. I am so happy right now. I just told him he was the best boy in the world and repeated it about a million times. He looked at me wondering why him vomiting was such a good thing and then..... Gave me the sadest eyes when I wouldn't let him eat it back up lmao. He looked like I was taking away his most favored of treats. I love him so much.

My biggest concern is because it's been 3 and a half hours since he ate the item could any of it have started traveling past his stomach?

He threw up 3 baby wipes, and a few pieces of diaper. I am so glad I came on here and got wonderful advice from everyone and am also very happy I called the 24 hour vet to.

Thank you so very much everyone!

#34 ·
So just took him out for a 20 min walk, he was making sounds so I figured with all the water he drank he would need to go pee. And he did, as well as one of the most runniest/tutiest poops I've ever seen. It was interesting lol. And he must be doing better because he was so excited to go on the walk and just like most dogs found some sort of random poop in our flower bed. Yuck. We were just getting back and he ran up ahead on leash and stopped, I thought he had stopped to sniff something and no sooner do I get up to him and he's eating something. Me freaking out thinking here we go again shoves my hand up his mouth to take out whatever it was, to only find out it was poop of some sort. Disgusting. Definetly washed my hands a few times when we got in as well as used disinfectant hand gel. Why do dogs have to be so gross lol. Not that I can blame him, he's probably starving after all of that vomiting.

#35 ·
If it was shredded on the floor and he threw up smaller pieces, it is likely he shredded the majority of it. I wouldn't be concerned about bloat overall with any diaper ingestion. But I would be concerned with intestinal obstruction. Again though if he shredded it into pieces, only ate some of it, and vomited some up he will likely be ok. After 3 1/2 hours it's likely some passed into his intestines.

Like the e vet said, just keep a good eye out for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, painful abdomen (hunched back, hard belly, etc), or not wanting to eat/drink. If you see any of these symptoms in the next couple days I would get him in right away for xrays

#36 ·
I still think recommending salt to induce vomiting is old school and dangerous, and there are safer things that can be given. I would NEVER give it nor would I EVER recommend it

#41 ·
I always kept peroxide and a syringe handy.... Even the vet I worked for would recommend peroxide if the owner wasn't able to bring dog right in.
I had a pup that found and ate a kids glove in one bite. I dosed her with about 20 cc of peroxide over a period of about 1/2 hour. Yep, up came the glove and his breakfast.
I have always kept peroxide and a big syringe with me while traveling,you never know what they will grab up and it works great with no ill effects.

#42 ·
Not all dogs can do peroxide. Berlin ate a washcloth. Tried to give him peroxide - go figure all i had was a turkey baister - he struggled and it ended up all going into his eye. Not good. So off to the vet we rushed so I could not only give him an injection to make him vomit but now flush his eyes out

#46 ·
You would likely be able to see some material. You can see cloth like material. It's hard to explain but it basically looks like bunched up grey. If it was small pieces, no you would not see it

#47 ·
Just wanted to update that I think all is well now. Kato is still having regular bowel movement/urination and is drinking/eating normally. My only concern is nothing has come out in his poop yet. So I'm just figuring that he must have thrown it all up and nothing traveled further down. Will still keep my eye on him but everything seems to be going good so far and he sees the vet on Saturday for a little blood work and they will do a quick weight and check up.

#49 ·
I also wanted to apologize to everyone for my comment about vets never wanting to take blame for anything. I know this does not go for all vets and just goes back on my personal experience I had with a vet and my cat. She almost died because of a vet that made a mistake and wouldn't own up to it. Needless to say this does not give me the right to bash all vets. I was just very upset at the time and am very sorry for saying what I said in a rash decision.

#54 ·
Perfect example, this is a Dane that ate a LOT OF socks. That would be "cloth like material in the gi tract"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.