German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   More Problems (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/482417-more-problems.html)

doggymom 08-23-2014 01:19 PM

More Problems

My vet though my dog had hip dysplasia because she was walking around slowly and was lethargic. We had to get xrays somewhere else though, and one of the vets suggested hypothyroidism instead. It turns out she has that. She's on medication that's working really well now. She's losing weight and her fur is growing back a little bit. She's still drinking a lot of water and her skin still looks really raw under her fur. I took her in yesterday. Her thyroid is where it should be now. She has a skin infection. She got antibiotics and prednisone. Then, when she was getting in the car, she seemed to trip and get flustered, so I lifted her back legs into the car. Then, she had trouble even holding herself up on her back legs when she went in the house today. She takes the two steps several times a day, and she never has trouble. Today, it was like her back legs were useless. The vet said it could be a nerve problem, and the prednisone would help that. Or it is hip dysplasia and we're back to looking at xrays and looking at options. I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all.

llombardo 08-23-2014 01:30 PM

Do you have a place to take her swimming? That is the best exercise for dogs with muscle, hd, etc.

doggymom 08-23-2014 01:33 PM

Not that I can think of, but I'll have to check that out. I tried to get her to swim years ago, but she didn't do it. I should try again. I'm going to have to get her on glucosamine.

llombardo 08-23-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggymom (Post 5937537)
Not that I can think of, but I'll have to check that out. I tried to get her to swim years ago, but she didn't do it. I should try again. I'm going to have to get her on glucosamine.

I have a wonderful place by me that offers swimming. They go in the pool with the dog and the water is 92 degrees. Maybe you can find a place like that? My oldest dog has son arthritis in her one leg that had a previous injury and the vet recommended fish oil over the glucosamine. She said that stuff is hit or miss but the fish oil works. I have no clue if this is true, but it's what she recommended. In the picture Midnite is swimming, the two people are a couple feet from him.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...671E710BA3.jpg

huntergreen 08-23-2014 02:29 PM

has the vet discussed DM ? not sure of the age of your gsd.

Bruin 08-23-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5937721)
I have a wonderful place by me that offers swimming. They go in the pool with the dog and the water is 92 degrees. Maybe you can find a place like that? My oldest dog has son arthritis in her one leg that had a previous injury and the vet recommended fish oil over the glucosamine. She said that stuff is hit or miss but the fish oil works. I have no clue if this is true, but it's what she recommended. In the picture Midnite is swimming, the two people are a couple feet from him.

Slightly off topic question because this is really neat... Is it a dog pool? Or a training facility? Can you get in with them? I've never heard of this before! We don't have a pool (or any natural bodies of water nearby, really, except the dog beaches) but I'd love to expose our puppy to swimming. Also didn't realize it was good for strengthening their hips. Will need to look into it... Thanks!

llombardo 08-23-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin (Post 5937793)
Slightly off topic question because this is really neat... Is it a dog pool? Or a training facility? Can you get in with them? I've never heard of this before! We don't have a pool (or any natural bodies of water nearby, really, except the dog beaches) but I'd love to expose our puppy to swimming. Also didn't realize it was good for strengthening their hips. Will need to look into it... Thanks!

At this particular place owners are not allowed and it is for exercise and therapy for the dogs. There is another place that I have been to that I can go in with them and the area is rented for privacy, no other people or dogs. In this picture it was our first time there and I put life jackets on the dogs for them to feel safer. The life jackets came off once I knew they were safe.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...633B2EA193.jpg

selzer 08-23-2014 05:04 PM

If the dog has lost the use of her back legs rather suddenly, and is on a couple of different medications, I would treat it as a medical emergency and take her to a good 24 hour clinic that will diagnose her and start treatment, instead of guessing.

Anubis_Star 08-25-2014 06:46 AM

Could be numerous things. With german shepherds the two that spring to thought would be HD and DM. Did they do hip xrays? How do they look?

It would seem odd for HD to suddenly manifest as paresis of the rear limbs. You would generally expect to see a stiff gait, slow movements, tired after only a little exercise, etc.... Loss of use seems to more indicate neurologic, DM, back problem (herniated disc, compressed spinal nerves, etc). In that case prednisone could be of use.

huntergreen 08-25-2014 09:19 AM

anubis, i would expect the prednisone to prevent total loss of use due to disc issues or nerve compression.