MRI Tomorrow... (Nervous!) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy MRI Tomorrow... (Nervous!)

Hi all,

As I'm sure you know Roxie my 8 y/o GSD has been battling what I and our local vet believed to be a bad case of hip dysplasia throughout the past couple years. A couple months ago however she began really having issues getting her legs to work right and had been crossing them when she walks. The vet recommended that I get a wheelchair to build some muscle mass so I purchased a Walkin' Wheels, which she really liked because it gave her some of her mobility back.

Fast forward a month and I noticed that her muscle mass wasn't improving even though we had been going on some pretty length walks in the woods. I then decided to get a second opinion and took her to Michigan State University. Upon examination they said that although her hips aren't perfect, they are only 10% of the problem. They said that her problem is more neurological than it is orthopedic. I told them that I did the DM test through OFFA and that it came back negative which was a relieve. They then said that they needed to do an MRI to find where the spinal cord has a problem. Either it's pinched by a disc that may have slipped and progressively got worse or something else (that is my thought not theirs!). With all that being said I agreed to have them do an MRI on her tomorrow morning (8/21) and from that they will be able to give me a better idea of what they can potentially fix through surgery.

They did tell me that with nerve problems its a big gamble but I told them that I would like to see what I can do before I rule anything out. If you guys could through some prayers out for us it would be greatly appreciated. I can't sleep at all because I'm so nervous. We will be there at 10:00 AM tomorrow morning EST. I'll post an update once I return.

Until then...
hazards280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sending you and your girl positive thoughts for tomorrow. Yes, keep us posted. Take care.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thinking good thoughts for you and Roxie...MSU is a good place, hope they take really good care of you and your girl.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.