German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Chemotherapy: 7 weeks in (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/480769-chemotherapy-7-weeks.html)

Drewberry 08-17-2014 12:58 PM

Chemotherapy: 7 weeks in

1 Attachment(s)
Allow me to reintroduce myself...

I'm Drew. My best friend is Jager... he's my most handsome, must huggable, 6yo puppy-at-heart and he's on borrowed time.

I remember coming to this message board site for the first time in the Spring of '08. That's when my husband and I were counting the days to Jager's arrival. I know I don't need to spend sentences (it could be a novel) on how much I love my boy because of all people, I know the readers of this post already know and understand.

At the end of June, our hearts were devastatingly crushed when we learned Jager has lymphoma. We were incredibly lucky to discover it when we did as lymphoma is a very fast advancing cancer and we could have lost him in weeks had we not taken him to the vet in time. One day, I was petting him under his collar felt what seemed like swollen lymph nodes. I thought he may have been fighting a infection until the next day when they were four times the size. We're 7 weeks into chemotherapy and have experienced only a few less-than-perfect days. Otherwise, we're continuing to do as we have every day for 6 years... to love him to the fullest for every given minute.

I say all of this as a warning many of you might not even need. I hope you make sure to know your babies as well as possible; their behavior and what's physically normal for them. Jager has to this day not shown any signs of illness other than his nodes and we could have chalked any lack of energy up to summer heat.

Thanks for any positive vibes sent my boy's way and I will look forward to returning to this site after a few years off for the community that can help us power through!

Audie1 08-17-2014 01:13 PM

My prayers and positive vibes for both Jager and yourself, Drew.

ksotto333 08-17-2014 01:17 PM

Oh my, best wishes and prayers for you and your family..

llombardo 08-17-2014 01:20 PM

Is the chemo helping or when will you know if it has? Sending positive thoughts.

BowWowMeow 08-17-2014 01:27 PM

Sending all good thoughts your way.

Drewberry 08-17-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5914257)
Is the chemo helping or when will you know if it has? Sending positive thoughts.

I have plans to ask the exact same question. Our vet runs a CBC (Complete Blood Count) every week before doing chemo to make sure his white cells and platelets are at good enough levels for treatment but she has yet to explain if that also indicates progress. We go to chemo again on Wednesday so I will ask if there is a way to know how he's reacting.

The best news is he acts like himself for the most part. He typically lays low the day after chemo but bounces back quickly to play to no end with his best Boxer friend next door :)

Thank you for the vibes, all!

huntergreen 08-17-2014 02:01 PM

chemo can drop the wbc count making him suppressing the immune system, this is why the cbc is done before the treatment.

llombardo 08-17-2014 05:09 PM

I was just at an event with my dogs and found a group that helps people pay to fight cancer in their pets. An awesome group that I donated to. A lady was there holding her pup and was talking about how it just finished chemo and the results were great.

theoneisis 08-17-2014 06:21 PM

Pup's Lymphoma

1 Attachment(s)
So sorry DrewBerry. Lost my white shepherd (part Arctic, very low content) last Saturday at 11.5 years and after fighting nasal cancer since Nov. 2012. Please look up Gary Tippner's Lucy's guide to cancer and check the list of supplements out with your oncologist. When traditional treatments didn't work (we opted out of radiation), we cooked organic and did a holistic treatment. Did our methods extend her life? No way to tell, other than the fact that the cancer was apparent and she lived nearly 2 more years.
Good luck.