Kennel Cough?! Help please... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kennel Cough?! Help please...

Hi everyone,

Our GSD has started hacking and wheezing when she moves. It came on this morning and has become worse this evening, although still only when she moves. She's just been in a kennel for four days (went in Monday, came out yesterday morning). I'm worried, but a quick Google makes it seem like kennel cough...? It's after 23:00 here, so do I need to call out the emergency vet? Or do I wait until tomorrow and still see a super-expensive Sunday vet? Or will it disappear by itself (or wait until Monday)? I've never had this before.... Really worried!!

She's always been healthy, and I'm cursing myself for putting her in there...

Also: who normally pays for this? Do we have to suck it up as a fact of life, or is it the $70/day kennel?

Argh!!

Last edited by basedinberlin; 08-16-2014 at 05:30 PM.
basedinberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My male came home from the shelter with kennel cough and 3 of my 4 dogs ended up with it. They all were on antibiotics. By the time the second one got it I expected it and took them immediately to the vet, it was caught very early. If I were you I would take the dog in, because it can lead to other things pretty quick. Some dogs can get over it but I didn't take the chance.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I took my dog to the emergency vet when he had kennel cough. They gave him a shot and some antibiotics. It was about $100.00 visit. The breeder later told me I could have just given him Robitussin (sp?).

When my parents dogs got kennel cough they put meds in their water they got at a feed store.

Personally I felt better going to the vet.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What helps to is running the water in the shower real hot and sitting in there with the dog, it helps break it up in the chest.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
What helps to is running the water in the shower real hot and sitting in there with the dog, it helps break it up in the chest.
yes! The evet told me to take him in there when I showered, but he was on meds also.

I kept on eye on him, but when he refused food and then water (even with some chicken broth in it) I took him in to the evet. He also had snot coming out of his nose. He was just a puppy when he got kennel cough. My two older dogs got it too, but not near as bad. They still went on meds.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, that's really useful information, thank you!!

Last time I went to the emergency vet it was nearer to €200 ($250+) for a consultation, albeit on my cat. Hence my reservation about going there... But I'll have to take a trip!

What do you think about sending the invoice to the kennels? Apparently they gave her a vaccination for it at the start of her stay (I can see it on their bill), so I don't know if that really happened. Unless it's not kennel cough, but I think that's unlikely on the balance of probabilities (the symptoms + the timeline). She's normally healthy and hasn't had any contact with other dogs since she came back. Would you expect the kennel to pay for the treatment?

Last edited by basedinberlin; 08-16-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kennel cough is not necessarily an emergency, if the dog is just coughing and snotting, but is still eating and drinking. Many healthy dogs fight it off without antibiotics -- essentially like a common cold.

You can probably just wait to go to the vet on Monday -- let them know you suspect KC, and they may ask you to use a side entrance to keep your dog away from other dogs because KC is HIGHLY contagious.

KC can become an emergency if the dog can't fight it off -- GSDs with weakened immune systems can crash very, very quickly. They stop eating and drinking, and they become very lethargic. At that point, they really need to get antibiotics quickly (usually doxycycline). There's a serious risk of pneumonia when they crash like this. For this reason, my preference is usually to start a GSD with KC on a round of antibiotics, to prevent a "crash."

In the meantime, eucalypus essential oil in a steam vaporizer helps. So does adding some coconut oil (organic, unrefined, cold-pressed, hexane-free) to her food:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article

I've fostered dozens of dogs with KC. With antibiotics, they start feeling better in 48 hours, and are in good shape in a week.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basedinberlin View Post
Okay, that's really useful information, thank you!!

Last time I went to the emergency vet it was nearer to 200 ($250+) for a consultation, albeit on my cat. Hence my reservation about going there... But I'll have to take a trip!

What do you think about sending the invoice to the kennels? Apparently they gave her a vaccination for it at the start of her stay (I can see it on their bill), so I don't know if that really happened. Unless it's not kennel cough, but I think that's unlikely on the balance of probabilities (the symptoms + the timeline). She's normally healthy and hasn't had any contact with other dogs since she came back. Would you expect the kennel to pay for the treatment?
My evet only charges $50.00 for an office call and then the rest was for the shot and meds...it may have been closer to $200.00, now that I think about it.

All my dogs were vaccinated for kennel cough, but there are different strains. The vet grabbed and pressed on my dogs throat and he made this cough noise. That's how he was diagnosed. My other two went to the regular vet. They did the same throat test, but those two did not cough. SO, they were not given meds. They were mostly sneezing. Once the puppy was diagnosed,I called the regular vet back and got meds for them.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
My evet only charges $50.00 for an office call and then the rest was for the shot and meds...it may have been closer to $200.00, now that I think about it.

All my dogs were vaccinated for kennel cough, but there are different strains. The vet grabbed and pressed on my dogs throat and he made this cough noise. That's how he was diagnosed. My other two went to the regular vet. They did the same throat test, but those two did not cough. SO, they were not given meds. They were mostly sneezing. Once the puppy was diagnosed,I called the regular vet back and got meds for them.
I don't vaccinate for it even after our bout with it. I think now it's given every 6 months versus annually? By the time the third dog got it the vet didn't even require a visit. They got it like 10 days apart. It was like having a bunch if kids getting each other sick. Oddly the oldest dog, which is a senior dog did not get it. Mine were coughing only and it was that annoying cough. My golden took it the worst, he's a big baby anyway. He acted just like a boy would act with a cold, like he was dying Just kidding to all the boys that find that offensive reading this.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've just pressed her neck to diagnose - she didn't cough, but she did wheeze. I'd like to use antibiotics to be on the safe side, but I'll obviously see what the vet says. I've found a vet relatively close by that's open on Sundays on a regular basis, so hopefully that will cut down some of the supplemental weekend charges.

They vaccinated her when she went in (I've just checked her vaccination record book as well). They used 'Nobivac KC', which is apparently against 'Bordetella bronchiseptica and canine parainfluenza virus'. Perhaps she picked up a different strain then...

Is this any reflection on the kennel, by the way? I realise that it's highly contagious, but is it any reflection on their policies/cleanliness? She was isolated for her stay because she was just coming off heat (I feel bad for her having to face this straight after!). At $70+ per night, I hadn't expected to bring home a sick dog, to be honest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.