Kennel Cough?! Help please... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would be asking the kennel why they gave your dog a vaccination.

Here is a link about that vaccine that gives some of the listed side effects

Nobivac KC - Product Data Sheet

If you scroll down it will list adverse reactions, it says wheezing, coughing and sneezing amongst other things
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess they'll just say that it was one of their 'preconditions.' I didn't actually take her to the kennels; they picked her up and drove her to the kennels about an hour away. We live in centre of the capital city, so I suppose it's cheaper for them to be based further out. But they have a good reputation, and at $70+ per night I was expecting something good for my princess. I didn't sign anything that gave them permission to vaccinate, but I suppose they simply enforce a policy that every dog is vaccinated on entry. We were also charged for a 'veterinary examination on admission'.

I don't really have a problem with the vaccination for the vaccination's sake; I'm not anti-immunisation per se, and if that was what they needed to allow her to stay, then so be it. But I wasn't expecting to pick up an ill dog, and I certainly wasn't expecting to pick up a dog with an illness that they'd immunised against.

So I guess my questions are:

i. If she picked it up from the kennels, is this any reflection on their cleanliness/policies etc.? I'll be letting loose on Facebook etc. and involving my legal insurance if it's a case of negligence.

ii. If she picked it up from them/it's a side effect of their enforced vaccine, would you expect them to pay for the bill? My heart says absolutely yes to this; I paid top-dollar to leave my dog in their care and she came back with an illness that I'll have to pay even more to put right (even if only to be on the safe side). But this is the first time that I've kennelled, so I don't know what the 'protocol' is in these situations...

I'll let you all know what the vet says tomorrow....

Last edited by basedinberlin; 08-16-2014 at 09:08 PM.
basedinberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

The vaccine-on-entry also seems a crazy choice because of this (from BahCan's fact sheet):

Unvaccinated dogs should receive one dose at least 3 weeks prior to the period of anticipated risk, e.g. temporary kennelling, in order to get protection for both vaccine agents. In order to get protection for Bordetella bronchiseptica unvaccinated dogs should receive one dose atleast 72 hours prior to the period ofanticipated risk.

But what on earth can I say to them?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

My guess would be your dog has picked it up from the actual vaccination. I don't know why they would give it to your dog the day they admitted her into the kennel, the dog is not instantly immune the moment it gets the vaccine, it takes several days to take effect.

As far as the actual KC, a dog can still get it even if vaccinated, there are so many strains the vaccine does not guard against. I would be more pissed about the fact they gave my dog a vaccine without my consent, which in my opinion is what led to your dog displaying the symptoms she has.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i don't believe the vaccine consists of live virus/bacteria and there fore cannot cause the illness.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nobivac KC

Vaccination against infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) is recommended if dogs go into a high risk situation such as a boarding kennel. All dogs should be protected against the unpleasant effects of this whooping cough-like disease. It can be spread whenever dogs get together, and a single dog can cause an outbreak of infection. Intervet/Schering-Plough recommends that if possible dogs are vaccinated at least two weeks before entering the kennels

The problem with the shot is that it requires a booster if it was never given before. I'm not sure just one shot on the same day would work at all. Once diagnosed the kennel needs to be notified because all dogs are at risk, especially the ones that were given the shot for the first time on the day they arrived.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 01:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Huntergreen...I might be wrong but this is what the Data Sheet says

Nobivac KC Data Sheet

Qualitative and quantitative composition
Per dose of 0.4 ml vaccine reconstituted with diluent (water for injections):

Active substances:

≥108.0 and ≤109.7 cfu1 of live Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria strain B-C2

≥103.0 and ≤105.8 TCID502 of live canine parainfluenza virus strain Cornell
Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The vax needs to be given a bit before so that the immune system can react and start mounting a response. Given the day of kenneling, combined with the stress of kenneling, probably made the dog more susceptible

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the gap between this post and my last.

We went to the vet first thing on Monday morning. The vet didn't seem overly concerned either at the idea of kennel cough (he didn't ask us to use a side entrance etc.) or, when we arrived, at our actual presentation. He said that since she wasn't off her food then he wouldn't diagnose kennel cough at all, or even the after-effects of the kennel cough vaccine. He put it all down to the stress of kennelling instead (it was her first time). All he gave us was some paste to help with the diarrhoea.

It's not the response that I was expecting, and I'm not 100% convinced that his explanation matched up with the symptoms...but he's the expert, right? On the plus side she's stopped coughing. The diarrhoea is still bad, but it's also improving. She's still quite miserable and lethargic...but fingers crossed it'll all improve quite quickly.

All I can say is: for whatever caused this, I won't be rushing to put her back into a kennel anytime soon. We obviously need a back-up plan for if we both need to be away again, so I'd say that it's time to look for a trusty person to come to the house twice a day and walk her in that situation. That should reduce her stress levels and cut out most transmittable diseases... (Perhaps they'll also feed the cat? Although he's never had a problem with catteries when that's been essential).

Thank you all for your lightning-fast contributions when I was at my most worried... I really appreciate the support!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.