Mega esophagus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mega esophagus

I have a Heidelberg GSD that I had to board a few weeks ago(not at Heidelberg) when I took a trip. Upon returning, I came home to find a very sick dog. Turns out, she had a pneumonia with a fever of 106. She came home with a bunch of antibiotics to take for the next week.
Then she started vomiting non-stop so they gave me Cerenia to keep her from vomiting and suggested the pneumonia might be secondary to a megaesophagus. I am having a hard time accepting this as three weeks ago I had a 70 pound puppy who was healthy as can be and now it can be that she's suffering from a mega esophagus (apparently dogs with MegaE regurgitate easily, which she has NEVER done).
Does anyone have any advice to share?

Also, today she started twitching kinda like if she has hiccups only its like a trembling that occurs in her upper body every 20 seconds. Has anyone seen this?
TexasGsd22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

what antibiotics is she on??

this probably oughta be in health or puppies not choosing breeders?
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ciprofloxacian
Cerenia
Cephalexin
And I agree, I just joined the forum and I am still trying to figure out how to post in different forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGsd22 View Post
I have a Heidelberg GSD that I had to board a few weeks ago(not at Heidelberg) when I took a trip. Upon returning, I came home to find a very sick dog. Turns out, she had a pneumonia with a fever of 106. She came home with a bunch of antibiotics to take for the next week.
Then she started vomiting non-stop so they gave me Cerenia to keep her from vomiting and suggested the pneumonia might be secondary to a megaesophagus. I am having a hard time accepting this as three weeks ago I had a 70 pound puppy who was healthy as can be and now it can be that she's suffering from a mega esophagus (apparently dogs with MegaE regurgitate easily, which she has NEVER done).

Also, today she started twitching kinda like if she has hiccups only its like a trembling that occurs in her upper body every 20 seconds. Has anyone seen this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
what antibiotics is she on??

this probably oughta be in health or puppies not choosing breeders?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default MegaE & Trembling

Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

cephalexin could cause nausea and vomiting
so could the other probably but i have had similiar problems when on cephalexin myself and when my dogs took it

vomiting is much differnt than regurgitation
regurg requires no effort on the dogs part
just splat out of the dogs mouth
vomiting is the hurka hurka then splat

btw what food is she on? is it new to her?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have run into 2 other heildelburg gsd who had mega-E. I hope that's not it and your pup feels better soon! Very scary.
SummerwoodSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I told my vet that she was Heidelberg he also made the comment that he knows other Heidelbergs with MegaE which is disappointing to say the least. I am praying that's not the case. As I mentioned in my previous post, she was 70 pounds and such a happy healthy dog when I dropped her off.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Diesel,
She eats Nutra Ultra and has been eating it for a couple of years now.

I've never ever seen her regurgitate. She vomits on occasion and I can see the stomach abdomen contracting multiple times before she actually does it.

This is so stressful! She is my world and I feel so guilty for ever having dropped her off.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

i would seek a second opinion
i dont know why they are giving 2 abx at once
Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you take her to the vet or did the people at the kennel?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.