Jazz got stung by a bee! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
graciesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 255
Default Jazz got stung by a bee!

We had a bit of a scare on Friday. We were just starting our weekend, relaxing in the backyard with a glass of wine , listening to the gentle breeze and our chimes. Jazz was running around herding her basketball when she caught sight of what I initially thought was a cricket in the grass. Upon taking a closer look, I saw what looked to me like a black bee. Told her to leave it alone, but she kept pawing at it. So you know what happens next right? She gets stung, is running around rubbing her nose in the grass. I had a look but couldn't find the stinger, nor the bee in the grass. Gave her an I told you so. Jazz continued running around once again herding her basketball. Hubby was chattering away, but out of the corner of my eye, somehow she didn't look quite right. Next, she came over to us an curled up between us on the grass, but even this was not quite right. She more or less plopped down and was not relaxed. I don't know why I did this but I decided to check her gums, they were gray! Hubby got up and walked away & tried calling her, but she didn't move. I got up and walked away, she tried to follow me but collapsed. Clearly she was having a reaction to the sting, so I hurried into the house to get some benadryl. By this time Jazz is just laying here on the grass. Hubby tried to get the benadryl caplet down her, and as he was trying to do this, her eyes rolled back in her head and her throat seemed to be closing up. Scared now, I called the vet and told them what happened and that I thought Jazz was going into shock. They said bring her in right away, so hubby picked her up and put her in the van. She was limp. Luckily the vet is less than 5 mins away. They took her in right away, quick assessment and gave her a large dose of benadryl. Originally, they were going to give her an Epi shot, but decided to try the benadryl first. The benadryl shot did the trick. Took about 15 mins, but her gums pinked up and she started to stir more, objecting now to being on the exam table. We took her home and hovered over an extremely groggy dog for the rest of the evening. She threw up quite a bit of bile 4 times later that evening, likely due to empty stomach and possibily irritated stomach from the benadryl ? and/or the bee sting. I think, but am not sure, I saw the stinger in one of her bile vomits. I was getting worrried about the vomiting, and was about to call the Evet, but decided to try a few soda crackers. She took them and they seemed to settle her tummy. The rest of the evening was uneventful. Next day she was back to her normal self. We never did find the bee, nor could we find the stinger or any outward sign of a sting, no swelling on the nose or mouth, etc. We think she may have swallowed the bee and got stung on the inside, maybe in her throat or further down? From the time of the bee sting till she collapsed maybe 10 minutes? Wow, what a wake up call for me!

Lessons learned:

1) not good enough to tell her to leave it, let her get stung and say I told you so
2) benadryl pills are useless is an emergency because you can't get them down, even if you could, they would take too long to work
3) liquid benadryl for allergies not good, as it contains alcohol so not good for dog, also they don't like the taste so won't take it
4) liquid benadryl for allergies, children's formula, good to have on hand as it does not have any alcohol in it, also dog likes taste of bubblegum flavour
5) must research having epi pen on hand. They sell a children's version at Superstore pharmacy, costs $117, one dosage only, shelf life of one year. Looking into whether there is one specifically for pets, or whether I can get my hands on benadryl injectable. Will discuss further with vet.

Sheesh! Why is it that the dog owners who do not care for their pets, leave them outdoors all the time NEVER seem to have these issues?

I think Jazz is part cat, and she has now used up 2 of her 9 lives.
graciesmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
My2shepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 479
Default

Wow that would be a scary situation. I have had dogs that have gotten stung and just swell in the affected area but never a reaction like that. Thank you for sharing this I will definately be keeping childrens' Benedryl on hand now...
__________________
Kimberly

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 64
Default

oh, my! That was scary! You had me teary-eyed half way through your story. I'm so glad you and your husband were around to see him get a reaction.

I'm going to start keeping children's benadryl (Liquid) on hand, just in case. Maverick doesn't have any allergies yet. But it doesn't hurt to be ready.

Hugs for Jazz!
Maverick M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 25,310
Default

gray gums are an emergency.

Glad you got her the help she needed.

Not everyone who keeps dogs outside do not care for their pets, but some dogs are not allergic to bee stings.
__________________
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
graciesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 255
Default

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that people who keep their dogs outside do not care for them. I was just venting a bit and probably should not have voiced that in an email as I can see how easily it can be misread.

Yes, gray gums are an emergency. Good for everyone to know. The only reason I was even aware of this is that we almost lost Jazz in the first few days after we got her at 8 weeks. She tested positive for parvo, but it was never clear as to whether it actually was parvo or a false positive as she had just been vaccinated for it a few days earlier. That's a whole other story, but bottom line is thankfully she made a fully recovery from that crisis.

Also, I should add that having liquid Benadryl on hand is not meant to take the place of a vet visit in the event of a severe allergic reaction. I think at best, it might buy a little time, if the vet's office is closed and I have to take her to the Evet, which is approximately an hour's drive down the highway with no traffic delays.

This is my first encounter with a severe allergic reaction in a dog and certainly was an eye opener for me. Our previous shepherd, Gracie, had been swarmed by wasps so bad that we had to use oven mitts to get them all off her. She was traumatized for sure, but luckily, she did not have a severe allergic reaction.

Just like kids, they are all different and just when you think you are well versed in their care, along comes an unexpected curve.
graciesmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com