German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Throws up yellow bile (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/478066-throws-up-yellow-bile.html)

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-07-2014 07:50 AM

Throws up yellow bile

Everyone couple/few weeks usually in the morning when he's just got up and hasn't eaten yet, he will throw up yellow bile. He is 18 months old and this has happened since he was roughly around a year maybe a little earlier. I just don't know if this is a sign of something more serious or if it is normal?

Thanks for any and all info.

Twyla 08-07-2014 07:54 AM

He has an empty stomach. You can either feed him a small snack later in the evening or save a small portion of his dinner and feed later in the evening.

Woolf is a pita about eating sometimes. If he refuses dinner, you can bet he will do the bile vomit the next morning.

blackshep 08-07-2014 08:03 AM

hunger pukes, mine does it too, if she's hungry.

Maybe offer a snack just before bed?

Keeno Beano 08-07-2014 08:03 AM

Throws up yellow bile

All mine do this if they are hungry. :doggieplayball:

Sunflowers 08-07-2014 08:11 AM

It could also be a sign of certain food sensitivities. Hans used to vomit bile a lot until I stopped feeding poultry.

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-07-2014 08:50 AM

Thank you everyone for the reassuring words that it is not serious. I will try feeding him a small snack before bed and if he still does it I will look into his food to make sure he is not allergic.

LaRen616 08-07-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5874898)
hunger pukes, mine does it too, if she's hungry.

Maybe offer a snack just before bed?

Yup. Both of my boys throw up when they are hungry.

They are fed on a set schedule, 5am and 5pm, if I accidentally go over that time, they both throw up.

I agree with the snack before bed. Maybe a peanut butter filled Kong or put some treats or some kibble inside a toy.

Stosh 08-07-2014 10:09 PM

Like everyone else says, it's an empty stomach. Many people feed a few ginger snaps at bedtime to soothe the gut. I give a handful of dry food so he sleeps with something on his stomach

Ace GSD 08-07-2014 10:24 PM

oh this make me feel better lol cause mine does the same... altho i always have fixed schedule 7am/1pm/9pm .. He is gonna be 5 months in 5 days . Same like yours sometime when i take him out in the morning before meal time he just vomit. Nowadays i just feed him first before potty time...

Sunflowers 08-07-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace GSD (Post 5877826)
oh this make me feel better lol cause mine does the same... altho i always have fixed schedule 7am/1pm/9pm .. He is gonna be 5 months in 5 days . Same like yours sometime when i take him out in the morning before meal time he just vomit. Nowadays i just feed him first before potty time...

The fixed schedule might be a problem.

This is training the gut to secrete gastric juices at the same times every day.

If you vary the feeding times, this is less likely to happen.