Allergy problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Allergy problems

We've had allergy problems with Bane since he was 3 months old. I've switched proteins around several times with different bags. Using BB Wilderness.... I have Orijen Regional Red on order and it should be here in a couple day. His right ear was bothering him last week and now he is favoring his left year and licking his paws a lot also along with eye drainage.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to get him checked out. Anything special I should ask the vet?
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe its not the food. Taz was on Benedryl because of the grass outside. It helped for a while, but I got tired of him being tired all the time and made a big area for him out side with pea gravel. The major downfall was the gravel would stick to his pads and guess where it ended up. Yup in the house
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Grim has been so itchy lately.. Thinking of switching him to hypoallergenic expensive prescription food. I might try a few commercial varieties first.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

He is on hydroxyzine right now..poor buddy has scabs on his elbows
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know a woman from training who's belgian tervuren had problems until they switched to Wellness Core's Simple: Limited Ingredients food. Maybe see how it compares to your current food?
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been through this with our dog Akhenaten.

He had the worst allergies of any dog our vet had heard of. The only food we found that worked was **** Van Patton's Limited Ingredient Salmon dog food got us through 8 or 9 years and then I had to start cooking for him. He got turkey or duck, canned pumpkins or yams, and some kind of chopped frozen veggies. Costco was the best place to go to buy industrial sized and priced ingredients.

Our vet told us that human allergy pills will work for dogs. And just like human, they do not know how to predict which pill will work for which dog so you have to work your way through all of them. Costco again came to the rescue for us. Zyrtec (or something like that) worked well and only cost something like $20.00 a month. We would still use Benadryl occasionally when he started an active break out, but in some ways that was to knock him out until our other measures could kick in.

We lost him at age 12 to prostrate cancer. Managing his allergies became pretty easy at the time although I have to admit that when I pour some kibble out for the current dog instead of cooking a turkey I feel like I'm slacking off!
BrandyGalos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

You might try a limited ingredient Fish based kibble. Flint River Ranch Fish and Potato worked for me on a dog that always battled ear issues. He does horrible on any kind of chicken based kibble.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyGalos View Post
I've been through this with our dog Akhenaten.

He had the worst allergies of any dog our vet had heard of. The only food we found that worked was **** Van Patton's Limited Ingredient Salmon dog food got us through 8 or 9 years and then I had to start cooking for him. He got turkey or duck, canned pumpkins or yams, and some kind of chopped frozen veggies. Costco was the best place to go to buy industrial sized and priced ingredients.

Our vet told us that human allergy pills will work for dogs. And just like human, they do not know how to predict which pill will work for which dog so you have to work your way through all of them. Costco again came to the rescue for us. Zyrtec (or something like that) worked well and only cost something like $20.00 a month. We would still use Benadryl occasionally when he started an active break out, but in some ways that was to knock him out until our other measures could kick in.

We lost him at age 12 to prostrate cancer. Managing his allergies became pretty easy at the time although I have to admit that when I pour some kibble out for the current dog instead of cooking a turkey I feel like I'm slacking off!
Is that picture of dog with alergy ? He looks normal srry dumb question
Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

We did give him Benadryl the other night. But if Zyrtec is a possibility I will try it. I will have to find out dosage info, etc. I think it might be allergies from grass or something. He has been sneezing a lot when walking him. Hopefully it's seasonal
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
Is that picture of dog with alergy ? He looks normal srry dumb question

Ace, once you started him on Zrytec did his energy levels start to come back? My boys energy level seems to be down a little. Might be from the 95 degree temps also. He sneezes a lot when walking. I was hoping it was only a food allergy, but it might be environmental allergies. Just started him on Orijen Regionl Red and Orijen freeze dried raw patties. Along with Grizzly Salmon oil. I hope something works. Poor guys eyes are draining and ears bothering him. Along with licking his paws at times.

Could it possibly be yeast? Maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.