It just is very Heart Wrenching.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default It just is very Heart Wrenching..

Zelda took two spills today on her hips, and now she is really limping on the left side and doing more swaying than usual..
One was when we were going out the door, she pulled on the leash because she wanted to say hi to a family member, in the process yelped and i saw her hip was very stretched out in such a way and it having her body weight pressure on it. The other time was she was looking out the window on a bench, and fell off, her left hip still on the bench the rest of her body off.. She usually just puts her two front paws on the bench to look out, not sit or stand on it. *sigh*
And it just is very heart wrenching to see a baby under 2 years, have old lady hips.. I am so worried about 4-5 years down the road, and if i can't get a hip replaced by then..

So sad..
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can you get the FHO done?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

One of my Vets strongly suggested waiting until last resort. He said its typically the type of procedure he would do on a dog who got hit by a car or something. Because he said it would decrease her lifetime, and that rehab after is super important and hard to do properly.

But i do still ponder on the FHO.. If it means pain free.. I am worried about the rehab after. There isn't a whole lot going on in VT. And we have rivers for swimming, a lot of the lakes have zebra mussels, or people. And people and Zelda is currently not an option. And i hear that swimming is one of the best options for FHO. Or like water treadmills.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
One of my Vets strongly suggested waiting until last resort. He said its typically the type of procedure he would do on a dog who got hit by a car or something. Because he said it would decrease her lifetime, and that rehab after is super important and hard to do properly.

But i do still ponder on the FHO.. If it means pain free.. .
My dog had FHO surgery back in the 80's. She lived to be 13. They even botched it the first time and we had to go back in with a different vet to remove the bone spurs left by the first vet.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

My guy has a bad left hip. He took off running today and went to go around a curve and fell right on his left hip. I'm not sure if it was because of the hip or if it was just slippery there, but I cringe all the same.

Two vets said my dog is not a candidate for any surgeries.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

One of my dogs had an FHO done and bounced back after 2 months of rehab... it wasn't fun but now she's pain free and you'd never be able to tell she had surgery at all. Have you seen an ortho vet?
KentuckyFenway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try laser to reduce inflamation from the recent injuries.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
My guy has a bad left hip. He took off running today and went to go around a curve and fell right on his left hip. I'm not sure if it was because of the hip or if it was just slippery there, but I cringe all the same.

Two vets said my dog is not a candidate for any surgeries.

Why? Are there other underlying issues? I can't imagine a dog not being a candidate for ANY hip surgeries, unless there was some other medical issue that made it riskier. So, just curious.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 08-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Why? Are there other underlying issues? I can't imagine a dog not being a candidate for ANY hip surgeries, unless there was some other medical issue that made it riskier. So, just curious.

I'm not to sure. He went over the different surgeries. The only one that he may be able to have is a hip replacement, but it is not recommended due to bilateral elbow dysplasia.

Another vet I went to looked at the xrays. I told her the last vet said he was not a candidate for corrective surgery and she said. "That's right"

We have not been to an ortho vet yet.

He does not show any signs of having issues yet. Except for when he cut a corner short and his left leg slipped out from under him, but that could have been due to wet cement that is kind of slick. The last vet said the xrays show one thing, but his body tells us something else. So, clinically he is still moving well. Down the road we will go to the ortho vet if he shows signs of discomfort.

When I first got the dx I thought he would have to live a life in a bubble barley doing anything. I have since been told by two vets and the breeder that he needs to swim and go on walks. No forced running. Hikes should be ok. So, we are just taking it as it comes right now.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
I'm not to sure. He went over the different surgeries. The only one that he may be able to have is a hip replacement, but it is not recommended due to bilateral elbow dysplasia.

Another vet I went to looked at the xrays. I told her the last vet said he was not a candidate for corrective surgery and she said. "That's right"

We have not been to an ortho vet yet.

He does not show any signs of having issues yet. Except for when he cut a corner short and his left leg slipped out from under him, but that could have been due to wet cement that is kind of slick. The last vet said the xrays show one thing, but his body tells us something else. So, clinically he is still moving well. Down the road we will go to the ortho vet if he shows signs of discomfort.

When I first got the dx I thought he would have to live a life in a bubble barley doing anything. I have since been told by two vets and the breeder that he needs to swim and go on walks. No forced running. Hikes should be ok. So, we are just taking it as it comes right now.

Yup. Treat the dog, not the xray. Glad he is doing so well!!!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.