Loose Stool? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Loose Stool?

Hello everyone.

so about 2 weeks ago my 1.5 yr old went to the vet for her annual checkup and rabies shot. Before this she had perfect stools and was doing great. Part of the vets annual checkup includes a stool test. they found giardia and put her on metronidazole (2x a day for 5 days) and panacur (3 days). I also started to transition her back to a food w/ grains because she is a little under weight (although eating 5 cups a day of Fromm grain free!)......anyway almost immediately her stools were loose. I chocked this up to the food transition and backed of to a 5-1 ratio of old to new food........anyway the loose stools continued.....she only goes 2x a day as she did before but its always loose. I finally had enough and just put her back on her old grain free food......now 3 days later her stools are still loose. the vet wants to do more stool tests but that doesnt make any sense to me since she was great before going on the meds and now is not......

other things: she hates the vet since she was spayed she was very stressed but it has been a couple weeks.
She still is super hyper and doesnt appear "sick" at all.

yesterday i gave her some plain white rice with a little food mixed in and the stool was still loose.

any ideas? im going to pick up some slippery elm bark today and maybe give her an immodium. I also started putting some prozyme back in her food like i did when she was a puppy with loose stools.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
skier16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

A couple of possibilities:
1. To make sure that this is indeed gone, you may want to get another stool test as sometimes you get a false negative with this. You may also want to consider getting some Kocci Free and treat her just in case some of those "little bugger's" are still present in her system: Kocci Free- for Coccidia Giardia - Alternative Animal Natural Pet Products
2. Did she get any other vaccinations along with the Rabies shot? Adverse effects can present themselves immediately, or days/months later.

Slippery Elm is a good move to sooth her tummy.
You can feed boneless, skinless, boiled, shredded chicken breast with either equal amounts of canned (-no spice-) pumpkin or the chicken with over cooked white rice, then when her stool firms up, begin to add her kibble very slowly in small amounts per day, increasing the amount as you see fit by watching her stool, until she is back on total kibble.

I would also recommend Sunday Sundae a combo Digestive Enzyme/Pro-Biotic (IMHO much better than Prozyme ) with her daily meals to keep her gut healthy as 80% of disease begins there. Sunday Sundae Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement

Hope the poor girl feels better soon!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.