Possible Hypothyroidism - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible Hypothyroidism

My German Shepherd started walking slower and we assumed something was wrong with her hips. Our vet suggested getting xrays done to see if she had hip dysplasia, but we would have to do it somewhere where they could do the surgery. I called around. One vet suggested it was hypothyrodism. That would explain her walking slow and being lethargic. It would explain her sudden and extreme weight gain. It could even explain her skin issues (she's starting to bald in some spots and her skin feels greasy). I looked it up and it said it causes mega-esophagus, which would even explain her throwing up at night. What do you guys think? Has anyone ever experienced hypothyroidism? They say the risk is low in German Shepherds, although she may be mixed with something else. She has a vet appointment to get an exam and blood test on August 1st.
doggymom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

All of those are hallmark signs of hypothyroidism. A blood test couldn't hurt and the actual treatment is really rather inexpensive.
KentuckyFenway is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

MegaE is a congenital disease. So I doubt a thyroid issue would cause that.

Walking slow is not a symptom unless they are attributing that to lethargy, which is a symptom.

Weight gain, patchy hair loss and greasy skin were symptoms for Banshee. Hypothyroidism is not rare in any dog. And it's not a big deal. You give a pill daily (that is fairly inexpensive) and monitor blood work every 6-12 months.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, I read on a site that megaesophagus was related to hypothyroidism, but you can't trust everything online. Thanks so much guys! I'm really hoping that's what it is.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is the dog?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

5 years old, 6 on November 14th.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi DoggyMom! It would be well worth it to have your vet send a blood sample in to Dr. Jean Dodds at Hemopet for the Thyroid Profile 5 testing ($95.00 =T4, free T4, T3, free T3, TgAA), or maybe even a Thyroid Profile 5 PLUS ($160.00= WHOLE BLOOD & SERUM NEEDED. T4, free T4, T3, free T3, TgAA - PLUS CBC, Differential, Chemistries) instead of the regular lab he uses. Read about it here: Hemopet Hemolife Thyroid Testing Click on the "Test Request" at the bottom of this page for instructions.

Thyroid Profile 5 - The Most Comprehensive Thyroid Test Available on the Market
The Thyroid Antibody Panel, Thyroid Profile 5, includes T4, freeT4, T3, freeT3 and TGAA. Since there is an 8% chance of having a false negative TGAA, Hemolife will perform either the T3AA or T4AA when results warrant it or in cases where T3AA or T4AA were previously done and needed for a follow-up. Each sample includes a personal interpretation from Dr. Dodds plus consultation and follow up questions if desired.

Good Luck!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggymom View Post
Oh, I read on a site that megaesophagus was related to hypothyroidism, but you can't trust everything online. Thanks so much guys! I'm really hoping that's what it is.
Yes, mega-E can be related to low thryoid, but isn't always. And low thryoid doesn't always exhibit in mega-e symtpoms. Thyroid is important to check when you are seeing all the symptoms that you are seeing.

I would strongly recommend the Thyroid 5 panel from Dodds. I would caution you against any vet that adds the TSH in the panel, since it doesn't reflect the condition of the thyroid in about 30% of the cases and most vets don't get that. The TSH may be included, but be warned against a vet that doesn't know how deceptive it can be....

Last edited by LisaT; Yesterday at 06:25 PM.
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lola my 6yo gsd girl has thyroid and the symptoms sound very similar, to treat she is on Oroxine twice a day, one in the morning and one in evening. I crush the pill under a teaspoon and mix with something yummy like raw meat and give to her. I am able to manage it fairly we'll except it does flare up when seasons change so I just increase the oroxine by 1/2 a pill. I also give her 1/2 a macrolone twice a week. She will require these meds for life

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.