Hip Replacement 12 weeks ago - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hip Replacement 12 weeks ago

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like some feedback from people with experience on THR. Here is a little background on my pet. My GSD turns 7 next week. At 1 years old he was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia on both sides. I was a young guy at that point and there was no way I could afford those surgeries. My vet and I had a plan to try and wait it out for as long as I could or could afford to do the surgeries. I live in NY so a THR is about 2500 more then most other places.

Two weeks before the surgery he started limping on his front left. After getting an xray it showed his front left had become lame. I didn't think of what other problems he could have by waiting and I guess instead of using all four legs to get up and down he kept pushing all his weight on his front left causing this injury.

I expressed my concern to the vet that I had no problem spending the money but is this something that would effect his quality of life. It was explained that some people need a couple of advil here and there and that would be the same thought with the dog. I didn't want to put him through the recovery of THR on both hips. We are at week 13 and next week he goes in for post op xray. His 6 week check up went well.

The past couple of days he has been limping a little bit. When he pees and holds himself up with that leg he loses balance a bit but I am not sure if that is the front left that effects him more bc of the way he distributes his weight.

His other left rear hip has def taken a beating bc he is still baring more weight then on the right side. I guess my question is am I being impatient and his recovery could take much longer then 3 months. I just kinda feel like I have let my dog down. I feel like I have made him worse.

I had planned on doing the other side in 5 months but not sure if thats a good idea anymore.
Nook&I is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

My surgeon suggested not doing two THRs. He does one THR and if need be, an FHO on the other side, if ever.
He said less than 25% of cases ever need a second surgery as the THR significantly takes the weight off the other side. An FHO on the other side would be more for pain relief.
My dog never needed the other side done.

Good luck!

PS. My dog still heaved himself up from his front legs, but with a lot less strain once he had his hip replaced.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for reply M&J did your dog limp 12 weeks post op. He was moving around well and improving but seems to be in a little pain the past few days.

Am I expecting too much and these are normal set backs. I know when I had ankle surgery a couple of years ago I was not right for almost a year so I keep telling myself he needs time to heal.

I guess I just want to know he truly feels better
Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you call the vet's office and ask them about the limping? That's what I would do.

What kind of supplements is your dog on? That can make a HUGE difference.

My first dog was diagnosed with severe bilateral HD at just under a year. She has a salvage surgery done on one hip at a year and then a TRH on one hip at 5 years. She lived to be just under 12 and died from something unrelated.

I gave her a lot of supplements and exercised her a lot -- 3 walks a day, every day and swimming whenever possible.

My current dog has hip, shoulder and elbow issues. He is 8 years old. I have him on an aggressive supplement regime and walk him about 5 miles a day and limit high impact exercise. He's doing really well, knock wood.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think he hurt it when he kicked and scratched the ground after going to the bathroom. He might have moved it further then it is ready to go. He is on darwins raw, fish oil, glucoasmine. I am keeping him at about 89 pounds right now which he is def not thrilled about but I know the lighter they are the easier it is on them.

I limit him to only walking on leash right now. He is going to the vet on Monday for his post op x-ray so thats why I haven't called. I am assuming only 12 weeks with such a major operation he is going to be sensitive and sore for a bit longer and I guess I was wondering if that is the case.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Did he have a cemented or cementless implant?
Is he limping on the leg that had the surgery? Or the other side, or one of his front legs? When he had the xray of the front leg did the vet say it was a strain, or something skeletal?

LILLY and RUDY
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am not a 100% positive. I think it was cement. He is putting more weight on it today and it was the leg that he had the HIP replaced. I have been putting ice on his hip on and off and it seems to be helping. I have appointment monday morning for post op xray. From other message board I have read some dogs will be sore for quit some time.

As for his front left leg it was explained to me as Lame.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

What supplements do you have your dog on?
mjta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Good luck tomorrow!

LILLY and RUDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.