German Shepherds Forum banner

Leg Problem?

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
Hey, I have a 3 month old german shepherd, who I got when at 2 months. A while back i took him to the vet and they told me his bones aren't very well or something and that i should be giving him calcium daily. I did that and the dog was kind of fat two, i didn't really think he was that fat but anyways. I talked to the guy which whom i got the dog from, he told me that he's really fat and should lose weight a lot, and that i overdosed on calcium. I used to give him Troy calcium and i feed him Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy food. What he told me was to walk him daily and lower his food diet. When the dog walks his feet are like clicking and don't look like a normal dogs foot, basically they are a bit week. So i stopped the calcium and lowered his diet and started walking him twice a day. what worries me is that i read on the internet that if the dogs foot is like that he would need surgery which i can't do.. Is there any hope?

Thanks

#2 ·
I think it would help if you can post some pictures. GSDs need to be lean and they REALLY do not need supplemental calcium when fed a commercial food. Yes things could be messed up but how much we don't know.

You may need to be doing some exercise that does not put a lot of stress on his joints while he is losing weight like swimming or walking in water.

#7 ·
I don't see anything really obvious but it is a short video that really does not show much motion. Its appears to be a little showline puppy and they can be very uncoordinated at this age. A little but chunky

Structured walks may not be as good for one this young as letting him play outside on the grass Will he run and play and chase after things like balls...does he get to spend a lot of time running around and just being a puppy?

The Royal Canin GSD Puppy food alone should be adequate.

#8 ·
Actually he's a work line, when he walks his legs nearly touch each other. I walk him because he's too over weight, I play with him though and he's let off the leash. I was talked to walk him instead of running so he doesn't put a lot of pressure on his feet. Also the way he runs on grass is kinda weird, he leaps instead of running?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Ok I will PM some folks to see if they can help you but I think it would be much better to get a video of him offlead moving around on the grass and some shots of him actually walking. Look for user Carmspack; she is very good with orthopedic issues and young pups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.