how to keep bees/wasps out of the backyard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to keep bees/wasps out of the backyard

i have a gsd and she is scared to go out the backyard now i have a feeling she does not want to go out because she has been stung any ideas on how to keep bees/wasps out of her backyard area and off the fence all help greatly appreciated thanks
94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

So not have any information on how to keep them out of your yard but am curious as to how your girl was stung? My 23 month old GSD goes after bees all the time, she's always trying to catch them in her mouth and it scares me, as I do not want to see her get stung.

Can you tell me what happened with yours and how the bee sting affected her?

Hopefully she's okay and didn't have too bad of a reaction!
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

she has been licking her paw and took her to the vet and he removed 3 stingers from her right paw and she does the same thing trying to catch bugs my only concern she is quicker than the bugs and that is why i need to do something with the back yard as she has only caught June bugs so far and i don't want her to think bees are the same thing
Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had a female GSD that was stung by a bee. For the rest of her life she was the Bee Terminator. She chased them down and would grab them up and furiously and repeatedly snap her teeth together with her lips snarled back out of the way. She would also grind them into the ground. She believed in pay back.

I'm currently trying to figure out ways to keep wasps away. I don't mind bees but am very leery of wasps now after being stung 3 times on the arm last summer. Ouch.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can buy fake wasp nest to hang around your property.
They think the space is already taken by a colony and should continue on.
Had a wasp problem when I moved into my new house, hung a couple of these around the yard. Haven't seen them in months.
Was a walmart equivalent store were I found them.
Jeff902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

The fake wasp nests don't really work, at least they didn't for us, so you may want to save your money. We thought they were at the beginning of the season, but by mid-August we were being swarmed. Our GSD at the time got swarmed 3 times ... we had to use oven mitts to get them all off of her, then give her Benadryl. It was horrible and she never got over her fear of them. If she even saw/heard one solitary wasp she would almost take the door off it's hinges trying to get back in the house! What we have found works so far, is early in the Spring try to find the nest(s) and destroy them. This year, we took down 4 nests and so far it seems to be working. Haven't been bothered by them yet. Added to that, we buy wasp traps at Walmart that contain an attractant. These work really well at capturing these pests and fill up really fast. They say that the best is if you can catch the queen at the start of the season (early Spring) but good luck with that. We've never been able to catch the Queen yet! Bees, on the other hand, have never been a problem. They leave us along and vice versa.
graciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I seen a bee land on my older golden and he immediately put his leg up. He was limping. I gave him Benadryl and that worked pretty quick.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can hang wasp traps, wasp go in and get back out. Your lucky they don't bother your girl beyond getting stung.!

I know of a Boxer that was killed by a bee sting!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
You can hang wasp traps, wasp go in and get back out. Your lucky they don't bother your girl beyond getting stung.!

I know of a Boxer that was killed by a bee sting!
That is so sad, guess you just never know how it's going to affect your dog until it actually happens. Tess just won't leave them alone but I'll bet if she get's stung by one, she will, at least I hope she will.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for all the help i found a product that my pest person used it is called wasp freeze and it does a great job of killing bees and nests on contact so after seeing the results i ordered a case of it now the bees wont be allowed any where in my yard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.