Help! My GSD is going downhill fast! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! My GSD is going downhill fast!

I'm posting this again with a more urgent request for help. Last Friday, Elsa was diagnosed with MMM and the vet did a jaw manipulation to stretch the muscles and put her on 20 mg prednisone, 3 pill per day for 10 days, then 2 per day for 10 days, finally 1 per day for 10 days. So, she has been taking the 3 pill per days since her procedure last week. I noticed that she seemed weak and in pain, but attributed that to the fact that she needed time to get over the effects of the anesthesia and jaw work. But as the week progressed, she seemed to gradually get more lethargic and depressed.

From the time I posted my questions and concerns yesterday, my GSD Elsa got progressively worse. Late last night she was acting like she was "drunk" for lack of a better word. She seemed weak, unsteady, and just plain sad. Maybe in pain, maybe weak from lack of eating enough, etc. Anyway, by this morning she was really bad, and her right eye was starting to bulge. I had already made an appointment with the vet first thing, so off we went. He examined her and agreed that something is seriously wrong. She is at the clinic now. He will try to figure out what is going on. It looks bad, so I'm very worried. I've tried to do research on the internet for anything else that could be wrong and have come up with a few possibilities which I shared with him. Just hope we can figure it out in time to help her.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Farmer Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am so sorry to read this

While I can't guess what it could be, maybe it is the large dose of pred.

My 45# aussie at one point was put on high doses of pred, and it did almost kill her.
She was weak, walked around in a daze, looked buggy eyed and just was not right.

The pred dose may be way to high..Please keep us updated, and hoping for some good news

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have no idea but I am praying for you and your pup.

Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jane,

So sorry to hear of your struggles with Elsa.

The prednisone is certainly suspect. She should be drinking huge amounts of water at that dosage. If not, she may be dehydrated.

In any case, the pred may need to be tapered off sooner rather than later. Consult your vet about this possibility.
Brian Paules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Pred dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I am so sorry to read this

While I can't guess what it could be, maybe it is the large dose of pred.

My 45# aussie at one point was put on high doses of pred, and it did almost kill her.
She was weak, walked around in a daze, looked buggy eyed and just was not right.

The pred dose may be way to high..Please keep us updated, and hoping for some good news
Thanks, I will ask about the dose amount.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No advice but it could be dehydration sounds a little like it. Medication especially any steroid usually increases water intake. Elsa and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

My doctor just put me on predinsone for back pain, 10mg 4x a day for 3 days, then 10 3x a day for 3 days tapering down to none. I am 280lbs. 3x10mg seems high for a dog not weighing 100lbs.
truckola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Your support is much appreciated.

Thanks for the additional information on pred. I have left a message for the vet with my questions including she swims in our pond every day and we've had a problem with ticks this year. Haven't heard anything yet. He said they would have to put her under general again to check things out. She is very weak and has lost 3 pounds since she was at the clinic last Friday. Don't know what to think. Hope to hear something soon.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have no ideas here...but I feel really bad for your girl...I don't like that comment about the eye bulging...have they done an ultrasound or x-ray to make sure there is no tumor in her jaw or mouth??? I hope that is not the case and something can be figured out quickly so she does not suffer....

<<hugs>>>

Sorry....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Vet said he checking for tumor or abscess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Have no ideas here...but I feel really bad for your girl...I don't like that comment about the eye bulging...have they done an ultrasound or x-ray to make sure there is no tumor in her jaw or mouth??? I hope that is not the case and something can be figured out quickly so she does not suffer....

<<hugs>>>

Sorry....

Lee
Yes, thanks. Vet said he would check for tumor and/or abscess. Although he cleaned her teeth and said they were in good shape, so don't know. They also gave her vaccinations that same day. Wonder if she could have a reaction to something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.