German Shepherds Forum banner

Probiotic question

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Proviable probiotic can be used long term? I found out that Fortiflora cannot be, or at least is not recommended for long term use, although I am not clear on why that is.
Also if you have other suggestions I could sure use them. Just went through a 3 day bout of diarrhea as well as vomiting with my 5 year old male. Vet trip with blood work, stool sample, as well as xrays, all came out completely normal. Xrays were to make sure there were no obstructions.
He is on Prozyme Plus, and a human probiotic right now, but I think I need something more specific for dogs.

Thanks
Sharon

#2 ·
I have had luck with Solaray's Multidophilous 12, or some of the Renew Life probiotics, I get them from the refrigerated section of the health food store. I've never used any dog probiotics because there is usually something in them that my dog shoudln't have. My dogs have done best with probiotics containing acidophilous, bifidous, and bulgaricus.

I've also never had a dog that did well on Prozyme, though I haven't tried the lactose-free one.

Sometimes it's trial and error what might and might not work for your particular dog. For example, Inulin/FOS, etc. is a prebiotic that is supposed to be very good for the good gut bacteria and many GSDs do well on it. I've had two dogs now that it does bad things to.

#6 ·
I'll second this too. It's made a huge difference for Fama. I plan on posting about her current supplement combination soon, and I'll make a separate thread, but I'm a big believer in Sunday Sundae, for my dogs and for us humans too.

David Winners

#5 ·
My dog is currently on Floriflora, he had a bad bought of diahrrea recently and the vet gave him antibiotics and Flortiflora as well. He did so well on the Flortiflora that I asked if I could continue to use it and they told me "yes".
I would like to know if this is really not the case. I had read on the website of people continually using this product.

#10 ·
I'm glad I have the information, but wish I didn't lol

David Winners

#11 · (Edited)
Many years ago, when I began researching ingredients in dog food, I, like most pet owner's, did not know EXACTLY what the ingredients were in the dog food or treats or medicines that I gave our dogs!

For Example...Propylene Glycol is in "Bil Jac" treats!
Pr
opylene Glycol is a second cousin to ethylene glycol, which is ANTIFREEZE! According to Dr. Wendell Belfield, DVM, propylene glycol (a pet food ingredient closely related to anti-freeze) causes destruction of red blood cells. According to Kevin Woodward in the book “Veterinary Pharmacovigilance,” propylene glycol is toxic to dogs, cats, horses, cattle and other animals.

The other concerning thing is that most veterinarians get their "nutrition training" from......guess who?......Dog Food Companies!:shocked: Sooooo, do THEY really know what the ingredients are or where the ingredients actually come from? Not likely, in most cases! Arrrrg! :D ;) :D
Moms

#12 ·
It's my understanding that at the larger veterinary programs, the funding for the nutrition courses comes from Hills.

David Winners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.