German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Some wear on dog's canine teeth, from her toys? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/469594-some-wear-dogs-canine-teeth-her-toys.html)

blackshep 07-11-2014 01:56 PM

Some wear on dog's canine teeth, from her toys?

I know tennis balls can cause these teeth to wear, but can toys like Cuz balls and Kong's do so as well?

My dog is showing some wear on her canines and she's only 2.

The one tooth is the worst, because she chipped the tip as a puppy, but it's a lot worse now and her other 3 are showing a wee bit of wear as well.

I don't notice her chewing at anything in her crate, she tends to be pretty quiet, her bedding doesn't get chewed or anything.

She does chew on her toys all the time though, so I'm wondering if that's what is causing it?

She doesn't really have anything else I give her to chew, because she's such an aggressive chewer. Things are either too soft and she can chew big pieces off, or if it's hard enough, I've worried about cracking a tooth, so I don't give her things like antlers.

Her toys are the only thing I can think of that she chews.

Mary Beth 07-11-2014 10:08 PM

The Veterinary Oral Health site Veterinary Oral Health Council has a list of recommended chew products. If the kong she has is the black one that is super tough, that could be causing the teeth damage. There are flexible nylabones that would be easier on her teeth.

Tao 07-14-2014 09:38 PM

My GSD loves jolly balls and I noticed his teeth wearing down almost to the point where my vet said he'd need a root canal since the nerves will become exposed over time. I don't give him anything to chew excessively any more. You can noticeably see his canines are worn down.

I give him soft toys and watch him with them because sometimes he tries to destroy them. I also make sure if he does chew hard on something that it is edible so as to not cause any more damage to his teeth.

Hopefully your pups teeth aren't too bad yet and you can keep them from getting worse. I would take away any rubber hard toys tho that seemed to be what did my pups teeth in.

blackshep 07-16-2014 10:50 AM

No, they aren't too bad at this stage. I'll have to take her toys away I think. I can't give her softer toys, they don't last a minute and I don't want her to swallow any pieces.

Ok thanks, I think that must be what's doing it. Poor boo, she's going to be upset with me!

Tao 07-18-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5781634)
No, they aren't too bad at this stage. I'll have to take her toys away I think. I can't give her softer toys, they don't last a minute and I don't want her to swallow any pieces.

Ok thanks, I think that must be what's doing it. Poor boo, she's going to be upset with me!

Yeah, my bubba wasn't too happy but I buy him those greenie things shaped like alligators and they are soft enough for him to chew and not hurt himself but still satisfy that need to chew.

Glad your pup hasn't worn them down too much and that you can stop it now. :)