I'm desperate at this point... My itchy GS - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm desperate at this point... My itchy GS

Meet Eva (Pronounced Ay-va):

She's about 2.5 years old and I just adore her.

But she's itchy, and has been for about 2 years now! I've been reading these forums for a while now, trying different suggestions. I've changed her food so many times I've truly lost count. And not just brands, but types. She hasn't got fleas or ticks.

She's been to the vet... countless times, and all the vet seems to want to do is give her temaril p steroids!! Yes, it works while she's taking it, but once she's done with the Rx, her itchiness comes right back. I've been reading that it's not good to do long term.

I've tried Apple Cider Vinegar, both orally and rubbing it on her. She still itches.

We used to live in the desert of California. Then we moved to Virginia, near DC....2 years ago. This is when this whole thing started happening. Also, when we moved here, we got a cat. So it's possible that it's seasonal allergies(all year round??), or the cat. We've told the vet this......temaril p.

Her itching seems to have picked up big time lately, which coincides with summer just starting. I'm so frustrated with this. I just want her to not itch.

This is where she gets red the most, her paws and her lady bits, but she itches everywhere.

Last edited by josh995; 07-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
josh995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you had allergy testing done? You've tried everything under the sun and it hasn't worked so I would take her to a dermatologist and do allergy testing.

Have you tried local raw honey that would have the local active pollens in it?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had an itchy dog, his groin area was worse than your girl's. He had raw hot spots everywhere. They're mostly gone, one or two left and not nearly as bad.

Anyway, so I went through all this. I didn't go to a dermatologist because once they know the source of the allergy the solution is custom shots for life.

Yeah you might get 'lucky' and get the results that your dog is allergic to beef and then just never give it again but it's usually more complicated. Just my opinion.

I don't know what fixed my boy. I did switch to raw in hopes to fix his allergies but it took another 6 months for them to go away so I'm not sure why they did.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hans got that on his paws after running around on Bermuda grass. The vet prescribed Neopredef powder and an antibiotic cream. We had to do this for 14 days, but it went away.

As for the skin issues, they didn't go away until I started doing this:

A Simple Remedy to Treat Dog Skin Infection

I also started giving him an olive extract capsule in the morning, one borage oil capsule in the afternoon, and one evening Primrose capsule at night.
I still have to keep an eye on his groin area, and I have an antibiotic ointment I use, to target any appearing spots.

By the way, Alpha animal hospital in Fairfax is really great. Dr Segl is the one to see.

http://www.alphaanimalhospital.com/

Last edited by Sunflowers; 07-08-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

It could be environmental.

But I would also suggest a note book. What she ate all day (including treats and table scraps) and exactly how her skin and feet look. And how itchy she is on a given day. It may bring out a pattern. Besides knowing what foods she had the worst reactions with is also helpful.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Best advice I could suggest is to go totally raw and do not allow her to eat anything else including "store bought" items or food falling from your table. You can make your own easy one ingredient treats (let me know if you want the recipe).

Commercially prepared LIMITED ingredients would be the way to go if you cannot prepare raw balanced meals yourself. Something like Bravo Beef: Bravo! Balance
Ingredients:
Beef, beef organs (livers, hearts, kidneys), beef bone, celery, acorn squash, turnip, sunflower oil, salt, potassium chloride, vitamin E, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, potassium iodide, vitamin D.

If you decide to do this, read the ingredients carefully, making sure that the raw food you choose does not contain any Chicken, Eggs, or Flax Oil/Flax Seed.

Another great supplement item for dogs with allergies is called SeaVive. I know of several dogs that it has helped.
The following info is a QUOTE:
SeaVive Information:
(SeaVive is a combination of SeaCURE, Colostrum, Beta Glucan, and Vitamin C)
IMMUNE SYSTEM MISSION: Prevent disease and infection
“Mucous membranes that line body cavities open to the environment, such as those found in the nose and gut, house antibodies called immunoglobulins that ensnare pathogens and potential antigens encountered in daily life. Thus, mucous membranes function as the first step in the mission of the immune system to prevent disease and infection.
Toxic invaders that sneak by the mucosal barrier are met by white blood cells called macrophages, which by a process called phagocytosis literally digest and destroy invaders in the blood. Thus, macrophages become the body's inside line of defense responsible for seeking and indiscriminately destroying viruses, parasites, fungi, and bacteria.
Two new supplements aid and assist these defenses against disease and infection. They are Colostrum, which supplies critical immunoglobulins to block invaders at the level of the mucosal barrier, and Beta glucan, which stimulates the action of the macrophages to phagocytize invaders in the blood stream. A third supplement Seacure® aids the immune system indirectly by correcting pathogenic bowel permeability to prevent hazards from passing through the gut membrane to infect internal organs. Finally, Vitamin C is well recognized for its immune-supportive properties. All four of these components are combined to produce the one-of-a-kind immune-booster ... SeaVive®. About SeaVive

“SeaVire® is a 100% natural, pre-digested fish protein concentrate combined with Colostrum 80/40 which is critical for good immune function. This combination is the only product on the market like it in the world. It is now available in the nutraceutical industry today. SeaVive® naturally contains a total of 18 amino acids including the 11 essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are amino acids that cannot be synthesized by the dog/cat's body and must be supplied to the body in their daily diet. But when a system is compromised due to disease or a debilitating condition SeaVive is the ideal supplement because of the benefits of a quickly absorbed and fully assimilated protein source- one of which is fast repair and recovery from illness, surgery, and wound healing.”

“Because SeaVive® is already pre-digested it is 100% usable by the body, and it does not require effort on the part of the dog's digestive system to process the protein. This makes it readily available for nourishment, boosting immune function and accelerated healing. This product is perfect for fading puppy syndrome, the systemic yeast removal detoxification process, dog's whose systems are depleted from IBD, IBS, Coccidia and Giardia. It is a terrific supplement for dog's with allergies due to its immune boosting properties and an answer to nourishment for the stages of early renal failure because it's a protein the body does not have to process, so it is usable and not hard on the compromised kidneys.”

“During the manufacturing process of SeaVive they employ a proprietary technology that permits them to, naturally, breakdown the fresh raw material, Pacific Whiting (a member of the Cod family) making SeaVive
almost 100% absorbable and assimilated by the body.”

“Due to this technological process, the body does not have to further digest SeaVive® which makes it very easy on the body, permitting the naturally occurring minerals, nutrients, amino acids and peptides of the fish to be utilized immediately assisting the body with the natural healing process.”
Some Examples of Use:
Detoxification During Yeast Removal
Boosting Immune Function
Allergies
IBD and IBS
Digestive Issues
Malabsorption Issues
Giardia
Coccidia
Parasites
Malnutrition
Rescue & Repair
Lactating Bitches
Fading Puppy Syndrome
Wound Healing - Topically
Repair After Surgery
Wound Healing - Internally
HOD (when off feed)
Nourishment Post Surgery
Renal Failure

About SeaVive
Or here: SeaVive 90 Capsules by Proper Nutrition

Good luck!

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Poor Eva

I am on my second dog with allergies and it's no fun for either one of us, so I feel your pain. I agree with taking her to a dermatologist, I never had good luck with regular vets treating allergies.

I would have her paws checked for yeast and bacteria, it looks a lot like what we are dealing with. See if your vet can get some Apoquel, it stopped Nikki's itching within a few hours but it's hard to get right now.

If she does have environmental allergies I would have her skin tested and start her on immunotherapy.

Treatment Options for Allergies in Pets | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1
https://www.zoetisus.com/products/pa...dvm/index.aspx

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Sorry, the water is taking all the oil out of the skin and coat. Dry dock that dog and get some professional help..

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did try Seacure...what a nightmare.

Then I found out that Hans is very sensitive to whitefish!

I think it is well worth it to send a saliva sample to California, so you know what to avoid. Ever since I did this, we have had no more food problems.

NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Best advice I could suggest is to go totally raw and do not allow her to eat anything else including "store bought" items or food falling from your table. You can make your own easy one ingredient treats (let me know if you want the recipe).

Commercially prepared LIMITED ingredients would be the way to go if you cannot prepare raw balanced meals yourself. Something like Bravo Beef: Bravo! Balance
Ingredients:
Beef, beef organs (livers, hearts, kidneys), beef bone, celery, acorn squash, turnip, sunflower oil, salt, potassium chloride, vitamin E, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, potassium iodide, vitamin D.

If you decide to do this, read the ingredients carefully, making sure that the raw food you choose does not contain any Chicken, Eggs, or Flax Oil/Flax Seed.

Another great supplement item for dogs with allergies is called SeaVive. I know of several dogs that it has helped.
The following info is a QUOTE:
SeaVive Information:
(SeaVive is a combination of SeaCURE, Colostrum, Beta Glucan, and Vitamin C)
IMMUNE SYSTEM MISSION: Prevent disease and infection
“Mucous membranes that line body cavities open to the environment, such as those found in the nose and gut, house antibodies called immunoglobulins that ensnare pathogens and potential antigens encountered in daily life. Thus, mucous membranes function as the first step in the mission of the immune system to prevent disease and infection.
Toxic invaders that sneak by the mucosal barrier are met by white blood cells called macrophages, which by a process called phagocytosis literally digest and destroy invaders in the blood. Thus, macrophages become the body's inside line of defense responsible for seeking and indiscriminately destroying viruses, parasites, fungi, and bacteria.
Two new supplements aid and assist these defenses against disease and infection. They are Colostrum, which supplies critical immunoglobulins to block invaders at the level of the mucosal barrier, and Beta glucan, which stimulates the action of the macrophages to phagocytize invaders in the blood stream. A third supplement Seacure® aids the immune system indirectly by correcting pathogenic bowel permeability to prevent hazards from passing through the gut membrane to infect internal organs. Finally, Vitamin C is well recognized for its immune-supportive properties. All four of these components are combined to produce the one-of-a-kind immune-booster ... SeaVive®. About SeaVive

“SeaVire® is a 100% natural, pre-digested fish protein concentrate combined with Colostrum 80/40 which is critical for good immune function. This combination is the only product on the market like it in the world. It is now available in the nutraceutical industry today. SeaVive® naturally contains a total of 18 amino acids including the 11 essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are amino acids that cannot be synthesized by the dog/cat's body and must be supplied to the body in their daily diet. But when a system is compromised due to disease or a debilitating condition SeaVive is the ideal supplement because of the benefits of a quickly absorbed and fully assimilated protein source- one of which is fast repair and recovery from illness, surgery, and wound healing.”

“Because SeaVive® is already pre-digested it is 100% usable by the body, and it does not require effort on the part of the dog's digestive system to process the protein. This makes it readily available for nourishment, boosting immune function and accelerated healing. This product is perfect for fading puppy syndrome, the systemic yeast removal detoxification process, dog's whose systems are depleted from IBD, IBS, Coccidia and Giardia. It is a terrific supplement for dog's with allergies due to its immune boosting properties and an answer to nourishment for the stages of early renal failure because it's a protein the body does not have to process, so it is usable and not hard on the compromised kidneys.”

“During the manufacturing process of SeaVive they employ a proprietary technology that permits them to, naturally, breakdown the fresh raw material, Pacific Whiting (a member of the Cod family) making SeaVive
almost 100% absorbable and assimilated by the body.”

“Due to this technological process, the body does not have to further digest SeaVive® which makes it very easy on the body, permitting the naturally occurring minerals, nutrients, amino acids and peptides of the fish to be utilized immediately assisting the body with the natural healing process.”
Some Examples of Use:
Detoxification During Yeast Removal
Boosting Immune Function
Allergies
IBD and IBS
Digestive Issues
Malabsorption Issues
Giardia
Coccidia
Parasites
Malnutrition
Rescue & Repair
Lactating Bitches
Fading Puppy Syndrome
Wound Healing - Topically
Repair After Surgery
Wound Healing - Internally
HOD (when off feed)
Nourishment Post Surgery
Renal Failure

About SeaVive
Or here: SeaVive 90 Capsules by Proper Nutrition

Good luck!

Moms
Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

her skin has become chronically yeasty from the sounds of it
yeast has a distinctive odor on the skin and so does bacteria
what happens is the skin gets irritated so pumps out extra oil
that traps and feeds yeast on the body and is itchy so they scratch or bite
that becomes infected

it is not necessary to go raw to help her
i would actually suggest a unique protein such as duck or venison or bison
natural balance is good for this use as it has only one protein source whichever you use

you have to get and keep her skin dry
if it is damp or moist this will contribute to the yeast infection
apple cider vinegar ca be added to her food perhaps a tbs per day
i have also had good luck with my itchy pup using topical malacetic otic which is for ears or skin

your main goal is to properly acidify the skin so the acid base balance returns
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.