Bad reaction to meds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bad reaction to meds

Ginger bumped a leg weird today. Was favoring it. We took her to the emergency vet.
We gave full history, med info etc. she got examined. Nothing major. But recommended an injection to help with the pain. Side effect we were warned about was sedation. We agreed. 30 minutes later and we had heavy panting and extreme salavation along with general loopy-ness. Panting subsided after 2 long hours of me panicking and calling another ER vet in panic. Our ER vet finally called back after 2 frantic calls (she had 3 critical cases- not avoiding)
We are now a little over 5 hours post injection. Ginger is sedate and loopy. Frustrated and confused. Can barely walk.
We are camping in the living room with her but i am still scared.
Anyone has experience with this? Med in question was buprenorphine.
hev1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like the dog was sensitive to the drug (a morphine derivative). Because every individual has a unique body chemistry, even though doses are given "mg/kg" carefully calculated to the dogs weight, they can still be more or less sensitive to the drug. In the people ER, it's called "narcotic naive". It will wear off, and if she ever needs that drug again for moderate or mild pain, start with 1/2 strength. If the pain is severe, though, don't use half strength.
There is no way anyone knows what ones reaction will be to a med if it's never been given to that dog or person before.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

She is charted for her not to receive it again.
Just a scary, anxiety filled evening/night for us all.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

The first time I got morphine I also had an extra sensitive reaction. I had the sensation of being short of breath, too. However, it took care of the pain...now that I have rods and screws the length of my neck, I'm no longer "narcotic naive"!
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Meds wore off for the most part around 2am. She decided she needed to go to the bathroom around 4am. Hasnt eaten or drank yet. Walking a little wonky and tight.
Now i am worried about neuro damage. Or if she is just out of sorts by the whole event.
We did skip her evening meds due to everything. Going to followup with our vet when they open in 2 hours.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

That would be scary. I'm sure she will be fine once the meds are totally out of her system. Like others said - some animals/people react differently. I go loopy with gravol, if I take two I hallucinate. It blows my mind - you can give it to kids, dogs, cats, no problem. But me? I start to lose my mind and it takes a while to wear off lol.
Hopefully she is back to her normal self soon.
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am an anxious mess right now. Literally watching her breathe. I know she is just resting though. Waiting for vet to review info from
Emergency vet and call me back.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dog meds can affect them just as human meds affect us.
I recently had major hand surgery and was given oxycotin for the pain. I literally lost the days I was on it, would wake up with food in my mouth unswallowed, had "dreams" of people sitting in the room with me. Of course will never take that drug again.
Your dog had a reaction to the meds she was given, it will work itself out of her system . Will help a lot when she starts drinking water. Don't worry, she will start eating when she feels better....
In all the years I worked for vets, we saw a few reactions and while not normal it does happen.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.
Have her tested so you will know for the future. Test Your Dog

Here's some basic info on the drug itself: DogAware.com Health: Caring for Dogs Before and After Surgery

My GSD does not tolerate that specific drug and gets .25 normal dose for her weight. She also gets wobbly on something as simple as Tramadol so low dose for her for pain. When she's had more of the buprenex, it took the day of surgery, and the next day - the next day she would look fine to anyone else, but I could see her wooziness. The third day she was good. Meanwhile, I have another mix who loves sedation and comes home sagging, wagging, almost laughing. Sits in her bed, wagging her tail watching everything with a smile.

I have a mix who did not do well on the post-surgery sedative so if he has a need for surgery ever again, will not get anything on that list.

I hope your dog has improved!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

My Bella at 5 1/2 months of age ran full; speed into a door. She cried loud and long, and lifted her leg. I inspected it, I brought her to her crate for quiet time and a few hours later she was using that paw in a good way, holding a stick to chew on. I don't rush dogs to the vet every-time they do something that needs mommy / daddy attention.. It's asking for the problem to accelerate.. Sorry your dog was over-medicated unnecessarily...

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.