Broken toe but problem with vet. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Broken toe but problem with vet.

On Wednesday night my dog came back from her walk with a bleeding pad and her claw sticking up. She wasn't in pain and let me clean up her paw.
Yesterday she started limping on it and it's now sore to touch. I'm worried she's broken it but reluctant to take her to the vet. At the end of last year she had a problem at the vets when we took her with an ear infection. She's reactive and terrified of men and the vet lost patience with her and pinned her by the scruff to the table while shouting at her. She wasn't trying to bite him, the opposite, she was squealing and trying to get away from him.
So, I'm reluctant to take her if it's something I can help her with at home. I've been keeping it clean and the vet gave me some strapping to wrap it up. It's still sore and bleeding a little but she's letting me do the bandage. Over the last few months I've been working with the vet nurses to get her calm and relaxed when going in to the vets. They give her bits of chicken and then we go. The nurses are both female. We've made good progress but haven't got her in to the vet yet.

What should I do? There isn't another vet I can take her to and it's a non weight bearing toe on her back right leg. She's had toilet trips in to the garden only and is fine with that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't go back to that vet. There is no other vet within an hour of you?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

No, we live on an island. Nearest other vet is on another island about 4 hours away via car and ferry. She's getting spayed in a month so been working on getting her calm at the vets before the op. I don't like the vets manner at all. The nurses are really nice and understand her issues but he's more of a farm animal vet.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

I should say that's 4 hours each way.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

if there is no other vet available, i think you talk the vet first what are your dogs' needs, or fears so at least when he handles your dog he already have the idea on to take a little extra care on sensitive... regards and get well soon to your dog.!<><>
lawmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

He doesn't seem to believe in a sensitive approach. I had spoken to him about her fears before he handled her last time. It didn't do any good.
I've just taken her bandage off, let it breathe for a bit, washed it and put on a new bandage. She was fine with me cleaning it and re-bandaging it
and didn't yelp. I'm going to keep this up and monitor her but I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience of sprained or broken toes.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did the nail stay put or did she break that? My female broke her nail once and it looked like you described. I did have to take her to the vet because I wasn't messing with it. The vet gave her this twilight medicine and recommended it because the vet said my dog was very well behaved at the vet and she didn't want a bad experience to ruin that. I agreed, so we got her all fixed up and she doesn't remember a thing
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 07-04-2014 at 08:40 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

With this being the only vet and an uncooperative one at that. It may be easier for your dog to sedate her (not ACE, I think that leaves their brain to active - somebody correct me if wrong) before vet visits. You staying with her and speaking up loudly to prevent any of the rough handling the vet is doing. While sedation for visits isn't popular and isn't something lightly suggested, if it will help prevent more visits like the one you described, the better for your dog. In between actual vet visits, visit the office as you have been doing and hopefully be able to enlist the vet himself (maybe if it isn't an actual visit he will be more cooperative...maybe).
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

The nail is still there. Bleeding has stopped. She got the bandage off when I was out (husband was supposed to be supervising&#128545 and it looks much better. She even managed to scratch her ear with the bad foot!
If she has to go I'm going to discuss sedation first. It's going to be painful if he pokes about with her foot and I don't want to undo what we've done over the last few months. She's getting spayed next month and I don't want her to go in for an op all stressed.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg
Default Try A Little Tenderness. Three Dog Night.

I would try to communicate with the vet better. Also ask for a bottle of sedatives, before bringing the dog again. In a remote area, you've got to play the game by their rules unfortunately. It sounds like the dog goes back soon and he's the only game in town...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c43YWd1UcK8&feature=kp
SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.