German Shepherds Forum banner

Canine Panosteitis

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Pioneer53 
#1 ·
Our 16 month old GSD Ranger was just diagnosed with this condition. He was given Novox and Tirmadol and the vet said it could take anywhere from 5 days to 6 months for this condition to go away. I was wondering, have any of you GSD owners ever heard of this or experienced it with your dog? Thanks.
Joni

#2 · (Edited)
do a search on Pano, it is very, very common in the breed. Diet and genetics can play into it. I've had two dogs that went thru bouts of Pano. Both are larger structured(both were raw fed) and the Pano shifted leg to leg on Onyx. Karlo had two shortlived bouts. I increased his vitamin C and I think it helped relieve the inflammation.
I didn't give pain meds to him. Onyx's bouts were more severe, beginning at 6 mos of age and ending when she was about 18 mos. She was on kibble until 6 mos, I decided to put her on raw when she started limping and showing pain with that first bout. I wanted my dogs to self limit their activity. Onyx was on rimadyl when she first got Pano(spay was also at the same time).
Did Ranger have xray done to diagnose it?

#6 ·
Usually it does only last a couple weeks, but can reappear in another leg. So the dog may suffer from it for several months with normal periods in between bouts.

#7 ·
yes, both Riley and Kaleb had it. I'm pretty sure Kaleb has it in his front leg again. It does go away, but I don't know about 5 to 6 days. It can go from limb to limb. Kaleb has been having it on and off for a few months now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.