Please HELP We are DESPERATE, Wound will NOT Heal on Puppy *PICTURES* - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
Knighted Member

01 Adverse Reactions to Spot-on Flea and Tick Products - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Authored by: Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, DVM, PhD, DABVT, DABT

Fortunately, treating epidermal paresthesia is fairly simple and entails bathing off the product with a mild dish soap (pet shampoos are too mild to remove all of the product). For pyrethroid paresthesia, applying vitamin E to the affected skin can provide quick relief— just use scissors to snip open a vitamin E capsule (the kind used as a vitamin supplement) and squeeze the oily contents onto the pet’s skin and rub it in.
A rare but more significant skin reaction (in terms of sensitivity) to spot-on products is contact dermatitis, in which an inflammatory reaction develops in response to the topically applied product. These responses - sometimes referred to as hypersensitivity reactions) - can occur upon the first use of a product, but more commonly occur after several uneventful exposures to the product. The body sets up an inflammatory response to the site of application, and the skin will appear red and irritated. In more severe cases, wheals or blisters may develop and the skin may actually ulcerate. Unlike paresthesia, which tends to occur within 30 minutes of application, oftentimes the onset of contact dermatitis is delayed for several hours, with the full extent of the injury taking 12-24 hours to develop. Depending on the degree of the inflammatory reaction, the level of discomfort can range from mild to quite severe. After bathing off the spot-on product, pets who develop more than mild redness at the application site should be seen by their veterinarians for further treatment to reduce the inflammation and discomfort.

Although not life threatening, skin reactions can range from mildly annoying to very painful; for this reason, a pet that has had a reaction to a spot-on product should never have the same product applied in the future. If a spot- on product is still desired for flea and/or tick control, try a product with totally different active ingredients than the one that caused the reaction. Following application, watch the pet carefully and be ready to bathe at the first sign of problems. Unfortunately, there are rare individuals that cannot tolerate any of the topical spot-on products, and other flea control options such as sprays or dips may be needed.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #52 (permalink)

I've made an appointment for a different Vet on Monday, that is the earliest we could get him in. Until then I will continue to apply the Manuka Honey 2-3 times a day. After further research, Manuka honey has a plethora of positive situations where it recovered and fully healed Necrotic tissue. There are also even positive outcomes with Brown Recluse incidences that Manuka Honey has healed.

Don't worry I will keep you all very informed. My significant other and I are extremely stressed and worried, but tomorrow being a Holiday really pushes everything back til Monday.
woogyboogy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #53 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogyboogy View Post
I never applied the Advantage anywhere near the wound. I applied it in between his shoulder blades.
The "Inert" ingredients move the product along the body hair follicle by hair follicle
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
The "Inert" ingredients move the product along the body hair follicle by hair follicle
So your recommendation is to take dish soap and scrub his wound? I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
woogyboogy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
So your recommendation is to take dish soap and scrub his wound? I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
GatorBytes is not a vet. At this point nobody knows what's caused this, so I would be careful taking advice from people online. Shaving around the wound and letting it breathe is probably a good idea and certainly shouldn't do any harm.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
NO. It is to call Advantage and have them tell you to shampoo your dog. I did not say scrub (ouch) his wound with dish soap. Shampoo the whole dog to remove the product (inert) from spreading over his body.

This is a chemical reaction to a pesticide given when the immune system was weakened by vaccines. These two things do not work well together

And apply coconut oil to it as mentioned by Carmen.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Actually after looking at the pictures - have you had the wound biopsied ?

Why aren't you using a cone?

And is it possible it's a spider bite that is necrotic?

btw...you need to make sure the manuka honey is UMF16 or higher.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I see the necrotic spider bite angle is already covered. I answered your PM on the manuka honey. You are applying it correctly based on what the directions I was given from the infectious disease doctor and the researcher in Australia. I would be following up with a different vet and getting on top of this asap.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree with shaving the hair around it and a 2nd opinion ASAP. It looks really bad way past anything you should ask an internet forum about... I hope he can get to a vet really really soon, I also agree it seems like a bite from something poisonous.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #60 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
This is a chemical reaction to a pesticide given when the immune system was weakened by vaccines.
And you know this how?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.