German Shepherds Forum banner

Brutus ate raw onion-should I be worried?

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Germanshepherdlova 
#1 ·
Today when I was preparing dinner about 2-3 ounces of raw onion fell off the cutting board. Brutus who is on a steroid and will eat ANYTHING ate the onion off the floor before I could stop him. I have heard this is toxic for dogs. Should I be worried?

#4 ·
Shiggs ate raw onion once right out of the garbage (after hours emergency vet is who we called) she is fine, but shiggs is shiggs and she came from the hard streets of quebec so i am gonna go out on a limb and say she has eaten many of things that were iffy and has survived. Call the vet! thats what i would do.

#5 ·
The vets office is closed today. I don't know if I should give him something to induce vomiting or if he'd be fine if I just let him be. I have been looking on the internet and many people say their dog has eaten onions without any problem. Others say this is an urgent matter. I'm not sure what to do.

#6 ·
Deadly Levels
In general, dogs will experience onion toxicity if they eat 0.5 percent of their body weight in onions, according to "Veterinary Technician" magazine. So a 50-pound dog will experience onion toxicity after eating 0.25 pounds or 4 ounces of onion. If you know your dog ate onions, contact your nearest emergency vet to begin treatment as soon as possible. For a two-hour window after your pup eats onions, the vet can induce vomiting to expel onions from his system. Afterward, the pet needs veterinary care and red blood cell monitoring. Treatment may require a blood transfusion to help restore your pet's red blood cells to health.

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/onions-deadly-dogs-1967.html

#8 ·
Deadly Levels
In general, dogs will experience onion toxicity if they eat 0.5 percent of their body weight in onions, according to "Veterinary Technician" magazine. So a 50-pound dog will experience onion toxicity after eating 0.25 pounds or 4 ounces of onion. If you know your dog ate onions, contact your nearest emergency vet to begin treatment as soon as possible. For a two-hour window after your pup eats onions, the vet can induce vomiting to expel onions from his system. Afterward, the pet needs veterinary care and red blood cell monitoring. Treatment may require a blood transfusion to help restore your pet's red blood cells to health.

Are Onions Deadly for Dogs? | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy
He weighs 120 lbs and ate about 2 at most 3 ounces so I think he will be ok. I gave him ipecac syrup just to be safe since he ingested the onion less than an hour ago. Thanks for the information about deadly levels.

#10 ·
evet as in emergency vet? Last time I took him to one of those places they charged $10,000 and when I said I could not pay that much they wouldn't treat him at all. The next morning I took him to the vet and the procedure he needed came to $100 so I don't feel comfortable with the emergency vets in my area. Nor can I afford thousands of dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.