Can't get Gunner to eat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't get Gunner to eat

Gunner hasn't ( won't ) eat anything since Monday morning. I have tried everything just to get his appetite, his normal dry food, dry food & can, cheese, hotdogs, hamburger & rice, yogurt, cottage cheese and vanilla ice cream. He turns his nose every time and I have to convince him tremendously to eat. Sometimes he would take a nibble but he acted like he was only "tasting" it for me.

I can tell something wrong because he is lethargic , weak, tender by the hind end ( vaccine location ) and not his goofy self.

On Saturday I took him to get his rabies and distemper from our town vet at the humane society, where they give vaccines to cats and dogs for two hours at a discount price. I made sure he never left my side and he actually did great with the commotion. Sunday was his "gotcha day" so we took him swimming at the park (went the weekend before as well ) .

Last night I finally got him to eat, but he threw it up and had diarrhea. I called one of the vets on call ( after hours ) because I wasn't sure if it was vaccine related. He said if his temp in the 102.5 range, he'd want to look at him but doesn't believe the throwing up was vaccine related. Took his temp, 101.8. Figured let's see what morning is like.

This morning he threw up and had a few small accidents in the house ( he did happen to make one in the bathroom - good boy !! ) and still wouldn't eat. Took his temp, 103.1. I couldn't miss work so the boyfriend took him to the vet right when they opened (8 am) . The vet who saw Gunner was the gentleman who started the business ( been in business for a long time and has been good in the past - kind of reminds me of Dr. Pol for those who watch Animal Planet -- i spoke to his son last night ). The vet looked him over ( no stool sample or blood sample, no temperature check ) and said he must have a bug then proscribed Metronidazole.

Not quite sure what else to do to try to get him to eat. Do I need to have a second opinion on this or ride it out ? Just a little worried about him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Jaders; 07-01-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Jaders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not that you should take my advice....but, I do seem to remember over the years....those damned shots did knock my 4 dogs down a bit. Since you have taken the time to post here with your concerns, I am certain you will be the best judge to determine if your pup needs additional attention.

Let us know when Gunner is his good ol' self.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

For what it is worth, my dogs don't eat well when they take Metronidazole.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.