What would you do? Almost 8 months and HD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What would you do? Almost 8 months and HD

So over the last week I've been really anylizing Tego and watching for how he moves and acts and just trying to see where he is mentally. And I'm not happy....last night at about 2:30am was the straw that broke the camels back. But I'll elaborate on that in a moment.

I recently asked about glucosamine for him and got some good ideas there, but I need a little more insight from people that have perhaps been in my shoes. Tego will be 8 months old at the beginning of July and I believe he has HD, pretty badly for his age. He has never run full blast in his entire lifetime and he doesn't jump on things. The jumping didn't bother me, I just figured that was something that made him unique. But now I'm leaning towards it being health related. Speaking of health related, if you haven't read any of my ther posts, we have nearly lived at the vet office since he was 8 weeks old.

But on to the hips.... when he goes potty, he doesn't lift his leg, which again, I thought it was just him, not all males have to hike their leg. But then I also noticed that he doesn't squat and poo, he squats and then walks while he goes. He won't just sit still. He is unable to bound up stairs, he walks up them slowly. When he does run(at his own slower pace) he bunny hops. When he walks he is very straight and stiff legged. There's nothing fluid to his movement. He extremely weak and wobbly on his hind end. He stands very slowly/gradually from a sitting and laying down position. He is cow hocked.

This week I've noticed him whining when he tries to get up from a laying down position. And then there's the cherry on top of 2:30 this am.... I woke up to him whining and figured he'd gotten himself stuck under the bed(again) and needed help to get out. But he hadn't. He was just on the floor at the foot of the bed tring to sit up. He was trying to thrust himself up but couldn't and I had to put my hand on his side and push him over to get him up. That alone has crushed me. An eight month old should not need human assistance to merely sit up.

We have x-rays set for Tuesday morning to see exactly where we stand and I've had a suggestion to try Adequan, which I'm happy to try things to help him, but in the back of my mind I wonder how much help we can actually give him. He's very lean, actually a much smaller shepherd than normal as he's the runt. Doing hip surgery is in no way a possibility for us financially.

So with all this info....what would you do? What would your plan of action be?

If you've made it to the bottom of this post, thanks for sticking with me and reading everything!
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get the x-rays done.

BUT - there is no way to make any decision about what to do until the x-rays are done and evaluated.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

get the x rays done , include a side picture showing his spine .
looking on the positive side of things , being the runt , he may have been stepped on by his dam or rougher litter mates.
If there is some impingement on his back , a chiropractor or acupuncturist can help resolve this.

why have you been at the vet that often?

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
get the x rays done , include a side picture showing his spine .
looking on the positive side of things , being the runt , he may have been stepped on by his dam or rougher litter mates.
If there is some impingement on his back , a chiropractor or acupuncturist can help resolve this.

why have you been at the vet that often?
I've never thought of that possibility. I do know he was pulled from the litter a lot bacause for some strange, unknown reason the breeder thought he shouldn't play with the other puppies too much. Something about how it "might make him agressive." That's a whole other story though.

A brief synopsis--vaccine reaction, skin infections, worms, testing for EPI because he doesn't gain and hasn't been growing at a normal rate, his hips, chronic diahrrea, food allergies.

He has been seen by a chiropractor, and he's getting another adjustment on Tuesday, so we'll see if that helps anything.

Definitely looking forward to xrays as a reference but am terrified of what their going to look like. He's acted like this nearly his whole life and even family members have asked if he has hip issues as early as 3 months and I wrote it off because I thought he had a case of the puppy clumsiness.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If he does have hip dysplasia, FHO surgery is often great help for young dogs. It could also be pano, growing pains. You need x-rays.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would also run a full tick panel on him.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would also run a full tick panel on him.
Ok, from what we've seen in the x-rays, things appear to be normal. I'm taking the x-rays to my vet this week to get his opinion and we'll go from there.

What would a full tick panel find?

If it's not bad hips, what caan cause all of those symptoms? What mirros HD in these ways? I'm absolutely puzzled, as a puppy he never had the zoomies and even now he doesn't run full blast. Why would a dog not run and play like a puppy?

Last edited by Contego; 07-01-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

who evaluated the x-rays??? can you post???

Other possibilities are pano (inflammation of growth plates) and different diseases like lyme or other tick borne issue - but given entire history??? tough call....

glad the hips are not the issue!

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Did his spine check out?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

A chiropractor looked at his xrays for me. We actually did them at the clinic where I work, so their not perfect by any stretch, but they give me at least a little idea of what I've got on my hands. If I had the cashflow, I would have my vet do more, but I'll have to wait for that. I'll get pictures and upload them as soon as I can, again, dont't think that they'll be excellent quality, a vet did NOT do them.

My doc. said growth plates looked ok, just not closed yet. He saw one place where there might be some inflammation, so I want to look into that--but keep in mind, he's used to looking at human xrays.

Thank you for the imput. I will talk to my vet about all these possibilites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.