Off her food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Off her food

Hey so my dog destroyed her bed on friday and since then has been off her food. I have had her do this once before and knew what signs to look out for because last time it resulted in major surgery so i took her to er vet last night. They couldnt feel anything and said the only thing was she was a bit dehydrated.

They recommended watching her overnight and taking her back to my regular vet within a day if she doesnt eat again. She ate a tiny bit this morning and a tiny bit this evening but seems disinterested.

Ive decided if she refuses to eat tomorrow morning im booking her into the vet but i was wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be if its not a blockage.

She is still goin toilet and her stools are a bit of diarrhea with a small stall. She is still excited when i bring the balls out to play with and stirs her brother up.

any remedys or ideas?

offered her ham and chicken and wasnt really interested
30442914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sounds like you know more about blockages than I do. I know they can be expensive and very dangerous, but have never had a dog go though surgery.

I probably would not give the dog a bed it can chew up, she sounds like it isn't safe for her, and I would crate/kennel her safely (no toys) when I couldn't supervise.

One of the puppies I sold, was eating his toys and got blocked, and they had surgery done on him. I keep toys away from his sister too, as she will tear them up with a vengence, and I expect she would eat them as well. Doesn't eat food, but will eat dog toys.

Anyhow, keep us posted, and let us know what the regular vet says.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

That is terrible! I have not given my puppy a bed till 2 days ago. He is 5 months old. The first night, he slept fine. Second night, at 5AM he started to tear up his bed. Thankfully I woke up and saw it. So, out it went....comfort vs. safety, safety always wins. It sucks, because we want them to be comfortable, but then they go and eat the bed.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

hey just an update so today she passed two stools with cotton in them so i think the worst is over. She ate most the breaky this morning but didnt want any biscuits so i will keep on watching her because if shes managed to pass some of it or all of it shes doin well
30442914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.