German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Dermatitis and environmental allergies (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/464777-dermatitis-environmental-allergies.html)

Nova&Uschi'sMom 06-27-2014 01:52 PM

Dermatitis and environmental allergies

Hi GSD friends,

My 2 year old female has been itchy this spring (belly, paws, snout). Her belly and armpits are pink and a bit rash like, sometimes scabbing over. It comes and gos. Her front paws are pink and she licks and chews at them. At one point her snout was itchy too and she'd scratch it on the floor. We tried benadryl, rash creams, rinsing her feet after she'd go outside, nothing seemed to work. I keep her very clean and brush her often. We finally took her to the vet to see if we could manage it a bit better.

The vet said 2 things: (1) she has dermatitis, which is the rash, spots, scabs on her belly and armpits. He gave us antibiotics and an anti-fungal shampoo to help clear it up. (2) she has environmental allergies to something, which is why her paws and snout became itchy this past spring. He gave us steroid pills for that.

During her pill cocktail she stopped scratching pretty much all together, and she was much less pink and rash like. Happy girl. Her pills ended 3 days ago and her last shampoo is tonight. She's gone back to scratching already.

Does anyone have any remedy they could suggest for something like this? She's on a great diet (all raw) and I try to supplement with natural things like apple cider vinegar, etc. I'm thinking of adding salmon oil to her diet. Is there a foot wash or spray or anything in that nature I could use on her belly and paws? I don't want to keep going back to pills. They made her drink like crazy and she got to the point where she couldn't hold her bladder through the night. I'd love to have a natural solution I can go to when her itching flairs up.

Thanks so much!

Jax08 06-27-2014 01:59 PM

If you think it's pollen related, try local raw honey. It worked wonderfully for my girl and I know it's worked well for others. 1 tsp per day was what I was giving.

Courtney 06-27-2014 02:55 PM

Agree with Michelle! It's worth a shot and the honey is sooo good.

This is how my boy survives the Fall season, local raw honey. Doesn't even need the Benadryl.

Nova&Uschi'sMom 06-28-2014 05:02 PM

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. We're going to try the raw honey and see what happens. It really is a mild case of allergies, but something I want to get on top of! Thanks again.

Courtney 06-28-2014 05:40 PM

Rusty's are mild as well but they do give him grief.

We saw positive results within two weeks. Remember they must harvest the honey in your area-within 50 miles. Good luck:)

Jax08 06-28-2014 05:51 PM

and make sure it contains the pollens active now. my beekeeper harvests it 2x year so there is spring (harvested in June) and fall (harvested in Nov.) so I have to switch honey about July. Some harvest only once per year so it will contain all.

Sunflowers 06-28-2014 06:25 PM

179 Attachment(s)
What are you feeding?

Nova&Uschi'sMom 07-01-2014 11:16 PM

We feed full raw. They get chicken carcass, minced beef, green tripe, pork and beef bones, whole fish, sardines, eggs, liver usually for organs. I mix in some pureed veg once a week.

Nova&Uschi'sMom 07-04-2014 11:51 AM

Just a quick question - how long until you should notice if raw, local honey is working?

Thanks!

Jax08 07-04-2014 11:54 AM

I had pretty quick results and I think Courtney did also. I would say that if it's going to work it will be within 2 weeks at the most