Scared - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scared

Freaking out a bit right now. Came home from work and was greeted at the door by my dog like usual, fed him, etc. I was eating my dinner and threw him a piece of turkey, all was well. He stood up to see what other goodies I had and his back legs went out from under him. I got him to lay down and his legs were trembling. I gave him a rimadyl and called the vet. The vet called me back in less than ten minutes and Z started to walk to me, he looked better, the trembling had stopped but still looked weak. Because he looked better Vet said to call in the morning and take him in, and for now I put him on kennel rest (he will pace otherwise, it is time for his nightly romp with the neighbor dog and he knows it). I just lost my dog last year around this time to cancer, I can't do this again

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Hope all turns out well at the vet. Maybe some extra love and a chew toy will take his mind off play time a little. How old is he?
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not quite 2, he is resting now, but I can tell he is uncomfortable. I am torn to keeping him in his kennel or allowing him more room to stretch out. I so am not prepared for this to be something bad, it was just so sudden, it happened in minutes and I can't not figure out what exactly happened

Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangele View Post
Freaking out a bit right now. Came home from work and was greeted at the door by my dog like usual, fed him, etc. I was eating my dinner and threw him a piece of turkey, all was well. He stood up to see what other goodies I had and his back legs went out from under him. I got him to lay down and his legs were trembling. I gave him a rimadyl and called the vet. The vet called me back in less than ten minutes and Z started to walk to me, he looked better, the trembling had stopped but still looked weak. Because he looked better Vet said to call in the morning and take him in, and for now I put him on kennel rest (he will pace otherwise, it is time for his nightly romp with the neighbor dog and he knows it). I just lost my dog last year around this time to cancer, I can't do this again

I hope all goes well for you on your vet visit, hoping nothing serious. Sorry to hear this happening especially to a two yr. old.
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Hopefully a strain or something of that nature. Others will have more to say I'm sure. If you could stay with him to relax out of kennel for a while so he wouldn't get too around too much. I didn't kennel, so when Cody had knee surgery just had keep an eye on him. Hes pretty young so hope it goes well. It is hard, I know what you mean after losing one not long ago.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am sorry. But try to keep calm and not let him sense your fears. I would let him out of the crate - take him outside - the fresh air and may help. Being in the crate can be adding to his stress.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

He kenneled himself so I went with it (he likes his kennel), but I opened the door and closed the bedroom door and we are hanging out in one room, when I feel the tears coming I step away from him. He is so active and so full of energy normally, I just can't process what exactly happened, he was laying down and then his legs were bad, literally nothing happened that should have caused it

Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the sudden onset and lack of clear cause (at such a young age), is worrisome. thinking of you and hoping for a quick diagnosis with good options for treatment. take care.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Could it possibly be a pinched nerve?? I can remember years ago my dog (not GSD) started screaming in the middle of the night and didn't want to move. I freaked out and took him to the vet the next morning. She basically said it sounded like inflammation and a pinch nerve. She gave me steroids for him for 5 days and it never happened again!!! I pray that's all it is!

Alena Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

He never made a peep, except for him falling and looking sad I would never have known anything was wrong. Do dogs get Charlie horses? I made him get up and he stretched his hind legs then circled pretty tight and lay back down. I think the rimadyl kicked in at least

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.