German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Scared (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/464561-scared.html)

blueangele 06-26-2014 08:21 PM

Scared

Freaking out a bit right now. Came home from work and was greeted at the door by my dog like usual, fed him, etc. I was eating my dinner and threw him a piece of turkey, all was well. He stood up to see what other goodies I had and his back legs went out from under him. I got him to lay down and his legs were trembling. I gave him a rimadyl and called the vet. The vet called me back in less than ten minutes and Z started to walk to me, he looked better, the trembling had stopped but still looked weak. Because he looked better Vet said to call in the morning and take him in, and for now I put him on kennel rest (he will pace otherwise, it is time for his nightly romp with the neighbor dog and he knows it). I just lost my dog last year around this time to cancer, I can't do this again

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

readaboutdogs 06-26-2014 08:43 PM

Hope all turns out well at the vet. Maybe some extra love and a chew toy will take his mind off play time a little. How old is he?

blueangele 06-26-2014 08:47 PM

Not quite 2, he is resting now, but I can tell he is uncomfortable. I am torn to keeping him in his kennel or allowing him more room to stretch out. I so am not prepared for this to be something bad, it was just so sudden, it happened in minutes and I can't not figure out what exactly happened

jafo220 06-26-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueangele (Post 5695969)
Freaking out a bit right now. Came home from work and was greeted at the door by my dog like usual, fed him, etc. I was eating my dinner and threw him a piece of turkey, all was well. He stood up to see what other goodies I had and his back legs went out from under him. I got him to lay down and his legs were trembling. I gave him a rimadyl and called the vet. The vet called me back in less than ten minutes and Z started to walk to me, he looked better, the trembling had stopped but still looked weak. Because he looked better Vet said to call in the morning and take him in, and for now I put him on kennel rest (he will pace otherwise, it is time for his nightly romp with the neighbor dog and he knows it). I just lost my dog last year around this time to cancer, I can't do this again

I hope all goes well for you on your vet visit, hoping nothing serious. Sorry to hear this happening especially to a two yr. old.

readaboutdogs 06-26-2014 09:05 PM

Hopefully a strain or something of that nature. Others will have more to say I'm sure. If you could stay with him to relax out of kennel for a while so he wouldn't get too around too much. I didn't kennel, so when Cody had knee surgery just had keep an eye on him. Hes pretty young so hope it goes well. It is hard, I know what you mean after losing one not long ago.

Mary Beth 06-26-2014 09:06 PM

I am sorry. But try to keep calm and not let him sense your fears. I would let him out of the crate - take him outside - the fresh air and may help. Being in the crate can be adding to his stress.

blueangele 06-26-2014 09:11 PM

He kenneled himself so I went with it (he likes his kennel), but I opened the door and closed the bedroom door and we are hanging out in one room, when I feel the tears coming I step away from him. He is so active and so full of energy normally, I just can't process what exactly happened, he was laying down and then his legs were bad, literally nothing happened that should have caused it

katieliz 06-26-2014 09:24 PM

the sudden onset and lack of clear cause (at such a young age), is worrisome. thinking of you and hoping for a quick diagnosis with good options for treatment. take care.

Alena Gonzalez 06-26-2014 10:11 PM

Could it possibly be a pinched nerve?? I can remember years ago my dog (not GSD) started screaming in the middle of the night and didn't want to move. I freaked out and took him to the vet the next morning. She basically said it sounded like inflammation and a pinch nerve. She gave me steroids for him for 5 days and it never happened again!!! I pray that's all it is!

blueangele 06-26-2014 10:19 PM

He never made a peep, except for him falling and looking sad I would never have known anything was wrong. Do dogs get Charlie horses? I made him get up and he stretched his hind legs then circled pretty tight and lay back down. I think the rimadyl kicked in at least