German Shepherds Forum banner

Scared

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  blueangele 
#1 ·
Freaking out a bit right now. Came home from work and was greeted at the door by my dog like usual, fed him, etc. I was eating my dinner and threw him a piece of turkey, all was well. He stood up to see what other goodies I had and his back legs went out from under him. I got him to lay down and his legs were trembling. I gave him a rimadyl and called the vet. The vet called me back in less than ten minutes and Z started to walk to me, he looked better, the trembling had stopped but still looked weak. Because he looked better Vet said to call in the morning and take him in, and for now I put him on kennel rest (he will pace otherwise, it is time for his nightly romp with the neighbor dog and he knows it). I just lost my dog last year around this time to cancer, I can't do this again

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Freaking out a bit right now. Came home from work and was greeted at the door by my dog like usual, fed him, etc. I was eating my dinner and threw him a piece of turkey, all was well. He stood up to see what other goodies I had and his back legs went out from under him. I got him to lay down and his legs were trembling. I gave him a rimadyl and called the vet. The vet called me back in less than ten minutes and Z started to walk to me, he looked better, the trembling had stopped but still looked weak. Because he looked better Vet said to call in the morning and take him in, and for now I put him on kennel rest (he will pace otherwise, it is time for his nightly romp with the neighbor dog and he knows it). I just lost my dog last year around this time to cancer, I can't do this again

I hope all goes well for you on your vet visit, hoping nothing serious. Sorry to hear this happening especially to a two yr. old.

#5 ·
Hopefully a strain or something of that nature. Others will have more to say I'm sure. If you could stay with him to relax out of kennel for a while so he wouldn't get too around too much. I didn't kennel, so when Cody had knee surgery just had keep an eye on him. Hes pretty young so hope it goes well. It is hard, I know what you mean after losing one not long ago.

#6 ·
I am sorry. But try to keep calm and not let him sense your fears. I would let him out of the crate - take him outside - the fresh air and may help. Being in the crate can be adding to his stress.

#7 ·
He kenneled himself so I went with it (he likes his kennel), but I opened the door and closed the bedroom door and we are hanging out in one room, when I feel the tears coming I step away from him. He is so active and so full of energy normally, I just can't process what exactly happened, he was laying down and then his legs were bad, literally nothing happened that should have caused it

#8 ·
the sudden onset and lack of clear cause (at such a young age), is worrisome. thinking of you and hoping for a quick diagnosis with good options for treatment. take care.

#9 ·
Could it possibly be a pinched nerve?? I can remember years ago my dog (not GSD) started screaming in the middle of the night and didn't want to move. I freaked out and took him to the vet the next morning. She basically said it sounded like inflammation and a pinch nerve. She gave me steroids for him for 5 days and it never happened again!!! I pray that's all it is!

#13 ·
I will mention it to my vet, I let him out to go potty and he made it down and then back up the stairs with no assistance, I was right there ready to help, the once he got inside 'trotted' into the bedroom, licked my son and laid back down. I didn't see any sign of even a limp. I am still going to take him in just to be safe and he won't get to be in our 'agility' club this weekend to be safe. I asked about what he did today and he was kept in the yard all day, had done nothing strenuous, so I will just have to wait and see. If it is just the rimadyl that is making him feel better I am sure I will notice in the morning

#16 ·
He thinks that Z got bit by fire ants (we do have tons right now) and was being a bit over dramatic. Z had been great all morning, only favoring the one paw slightly and only every few minutes. He had a slight fever and his paw was hot, but other than that no other signs, he palpated his legs/hips/feet and Z never flinched or acted like anything hurt. He did say almost every GSD he has seen in his practice has a tendency to over dramatize things, but fire ant bites hurt like heck, so I don't know if I can call it dramatizing LOL. I am going to keep an eye on him and not let him get too carried away for a few days, but hopefully that was it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.