German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   very cloudy and red eyes (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/464185-very-cloudy-red-eyes.html)

at004 06-25-2014 05:08 PM

very cloudy and red eyes

hello, my 6 year old german shepherd has very cloudy and red eyes as if there is some sort of gel on them.

we just noticed them and im afraid that they have been there for some time as 4 days ago my dog tripped over the stairs and also while running he fell into the pool... i am afraid he is losing his vision i am really scared that we just noticed them and i am taking him directly to the vet first thing tomorrow morning

but please can u check the photos at the below link and tell me,if someone encountered this before maybe give me some ease of mind till tomorrow morning when i will take him to the vet

please check the photos on my onedrive
http://1drv.ms/VoBieX

my boy diesel 06-25-2014 05:40 PM

possibly pannus
needs a vet visit asap

at004 06-25-2014 05:42 PM

thank you for the reply !!! if pannus does it look severe now ? might it cause blindness?

my boy diesel 06-25-2014 05:44 PM

i do not know much about it but i believe it can be treated with steroids
it is too bad the dog could not be seen today it looks sore :(

at004 06-25-2014 05:46 PM

i am trying to take him to the vet now, but it is past midnight and the security situation is very unstable where i am :( i have no choice but to wait till first thing tomorrow morning :( i hope that i am not too late :S:S

Axel13 06-25-2014 05:51 PM

It sounds like Pannus. One of my dogs has it and it's very common in German Shepherds. It is pretty easy to treat as my dog has had it since last October and is doing very well now. She just uses eye drops everyday. It can cause blindness but I think that usually happens a few years down the line and is not quick.

at004 06-26-2014 11:55 AM

hello so i took my dog to the vet today and it turned out to be pannus. the vet said that he is almost half blind. now i took my dog back home and noticing that he can barely see can't go up stairs, running into stuff :( :(

i usually keep him loose in the garden but now i decided to keep him in house to make sure he is fine... im sensing he is very scared now so I'm starting next to him at all times.
but the vet said that he will get better and be able to see after the treatment.. anyone encountered such case?

the vet prescribed medications that i would like you to check and tell me if it is the same as what you were giving your dog.

can u plz check the below link u can find a photo of the medications
http://1drv.ms/1mhN2VN

the solcoseryl gel will be used twice on a daily basis for one month
the tobrex gel will be used twice daily for one week

the problem is the main medication solcoseryl can't be found in pernicious i have been searching all day until i found like 4 of them and the vet said there is no replacement medication to it.. can you guys confirm what other medications u used and can help

finally since i will be keeping him in the house i want to ask is pannus is contagious to humans or other dogs/cats

greatly appreciate your feedback

BowWowMeow 06-26-2014 01:03 PM

Pannus is not contagious and the disease is reversible! I have seen dogs who were almost completely blind turn around after getting eye drops. You will need to keep your dog inside more often now though because the UV rays cause the disease. My dog even had a little viser she wore on walks in the sun!

I don't know the medications anymore but hopefully someone whose dog currently has pannus will be able to help you there.

at004 06-26-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowWowMeow (Post 5694233)
Pannus is not contagious and the disease is reversible! I have seen dogs who were almost completely blind turn around after getting eye drops. You will need to keep your dog inside more often now though because the UV rays cause the disease. My dog even had a little viser she wore on walks in the sun!

I don't know the medications anymore but hopefully someone whose dog currently has pannus will be able to help you there.

thank you so much for the comforting reply. I will definitely keep him inside, however do you think that the normal lights in house annoy him or is it safe?

Mister C 06-26-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at004 (Post 5693841)
hello so i took my dog to the vet today and it turned out to be pannus. the vet said that he is almost half blind. now i took my dog back home and noticing that he can barely see can't go up stairs, running into stuff :( :(

i usually keep him loose in the garden but now i decided to keep him in house to make sure he is fine... im sensing he is very scared now so I\'m starting next to him at all times.

I haven\'t encountered pannus before but I did have a blind dog for a while. Our old flat coat retriever had macular degeneration and lost her sight quickly. Like your dog, she seemed scared and confused at first. But she adapted quickly to her blindness. She taught me a lot about dealing with a disability.

I did what I could to help her out by not moving any furniture, not reacting when she ran into stuff, and taking her on the exact same walk each day. She knew that route well and enjoyed her walks.

I hope your dog recovers his eyesight.

Best of luck,

Michael