Still limping but no reaction to sqeezing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Still limping but no reaction to sqeezing

Gunther had gone to the vet for his left ankle sprain. That cleared up right away but right after being at the vet he started limping on his right leg. That was about 2 weeks ago. At the time he would bare his teeth and gently place the bared teeth on me when I squeezed his right "bicep". Since then he continues to limp, sometimes severely, sometimes barely noticeable. The thing that's throwing me off is that there is no reaction at all anymore when I manipulate his leg. I can squeeze muscle, tendon, joints, everything and he shows no reaction. What could this be?

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Is it possibly Pano??

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

At first I thought no because he reacted when I squeezed muscle, not bone. I'm leaning towards pano now though because he's eaten quite a bit of raw meat the last couple of weeks. People are starting to get in my head because of the battle of the diarrhea, saying that they think it's stemming from having had it for so long. But the right leg limp occurred after the vets when they had to push him to the floor against his will and he struggled. I figured it was just a bruised or pulled muscle.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm assuming a x-ray has been done? If not, you have to get one. Has his paw, toenails, between his pads really been examined?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

All of that was examined on the leg I took him in for. Due to when this latest limp came from, I figured it was due to the vet pushing him down. Not blaming, it was just the most logical explanation at the time. I do plan on taking him in when my husband gets paid, actually planned on making the appointment so I would be in by that time. I plan on having x-ray done on the new leg and a parasite screening done. Unfortunately I have to wait til after the weekend. Just thought maybe there were some ideas in the meantime.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

have his elbow checked out
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Office closed at noon today but am calling tomorrow to make an appointment. I'll be taking in a stool sample and having his right leg x-rayed. The limp is more stiff legged now. I just don't want them doing another exam where they have to muzzle him and manipulate him to the floor and squeeze and maneuver his leg around. That caused him a lot of pain and stress last time and I don't want him going through that everytime when he can have x-rays done.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is he?

Pano is a possibility and luckily self eliminating but painful. I believe a x-ray would confirm this.

It's possible when he was recovering from the left ankle sprain he over compensated by using his right leg and it's now stiff.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

D never blinked an eye when we handled his legs to check for Pano, which he had as being diagnosed by X rays. He is coming out of it now after 4 months. They all react in a different way.
I would also consider another vet who is gentle with him. If the dog is so stressed he would benefit from some relaxer before the vet appointment.
Maybe have your dog X rayed to see if it was from being manhandled or if it is Pano
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I would also consider another vet who is gentle with him. If the dog is so stressed he would benefit from some relaxer before the vet appointment.
D never blinked an eye when we handled his legs to check for Pano but he is coming out of it now after 4 months. They all react in a different way.
Does pano usually effect one limb - then that limb is fine and it rotates to another? Glad to hear your pup is doing better - I have heard it's painful for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.