German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Still limping but no reaction to sqeezing (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/464137-still-limping-but-no-reaction-sqeezing.html)

Ellimaybel 06-25-2014 02:03 PM

Still limping but no reaction to sqeezing

Gunther had gone to the vet for his left ankle sprain. That cleared up right away but right after being at the vet he started limping on his right leg. That was about 2 weeks ago. At the time he would bare his teeth and gently place the bared teeth on me when I squeezed his right "bicep". Since then he continues to limp, sometimes severely, sometimes barely noticeable. The thing that's throwing me off is that there is no reaction at all anymore when I manipulate his leg. I can squeeze muscle, tendon, joints, everything and he shows no reaction. What could this be?

SuperG 06-25-2014 02:07 PM

Is it possibly Pano??

SuperG

Ellimaybel 06-25-2014 02:17 PM

At first I thought no because he reacted when I squeezed muscle, not bone. I'm leaning towards pano now though because he's eaten quite a bit of raw meat the last couple of weeks. People are starting to get in my head because of the battle of the diarrhea, saying that they think it's stemming from having had it for so long. But the right leg limp occurred after the vets when they had to push him to the floor against his will and he struggled. I figured it was just a bruised or pulled muscle.

Courtney 06-25-2014 02:26 PM

I'm assuming a x-ray has been done? If not, you have to get one. Has his paw, toenails, between his pads really been examined?

Ellimaybel 06-25-2014 02:36 PM

All of that was examined on the leg I took him in for. Due to when this latest limp came from, I figured it was due to the vet pushing him down. Not blaming, it was just the most logical explanation at the time. I do plan on taking him in when my husband gets paid, actually planned on making the appointment so I would be in by that time. I plan on having x-ray done on the new leg and a parasite screening done. Unfortunately I have to wait til after the weekend. Just thought maybe there were some ideas in the meantime.

my boy diesel 06-25-2014 03:24 PM

have his elbow checked out

Ellimaybel 06-25-2014 03:54 PM

Office closed at noon today but am calling tomorrow to make an appointment. I'll be taking in a stool sample and having his right leg x-rayed. The limp is more stiff legged now. I just don't want them doing another exam where they have to muzzle him and manipulate him to the floor and squeeze and maneuver his leg around. That caused him a lot of pain and stress last time and I don't want him going through that everytime when he can have x-rays done.

Courtney 06-25-2014 04:04 PM

How old is he?

Pano is a possibility and luckily self eliminating but painful. I believe a x-ray would confirm this.

It's possible when he was recovering from the left ankle sprain he over compensated by using his right leg and it's now stiff.

wolfy dog 06-25-2014 04:05 PM

D never blinked an eye when we handled his legs to check for Pano, which he had as being diagnosed by X rays. He is coming out of it now after 4 months. They all react in a different way.
I would also consider another vet who is gentle with him. If the dog is so stressed he would benefit from some relaxer before the vet appointment.
Maybe have your dog X rayed to see if it was from being manhandled or if it is Pano

Courtney 06-25-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfy dog (Post 5689881)
I would also consider another vet who is gentle with him. If the dog is so stressed he would benefit from some relaxer before the vet appointment.
D never blinked an eye when we handled his legs to check for Pano but he is coming out of it now after 4 months. They all react in a different way.

Does pano usually effect one limb - then that limb is fine and it rotates to another? Glad to hear your pup is doing better - I have heard it's painful for them.