German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Post ACL surgery advise (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/463721-post-acl-surgery-advise.html)

hozy 06-24-2014 04:13 PM

Post ACL surgery advise

Our 7 year old had acl surgery this past March,, the recovery has went well..I still have in on leash a lot when he is outside .. We live in a wooded area and when he sees something he would run as hard as he can to our fence line.. Our vetranarian told us that there was a chance that he could damage the acl on the other side within the first year.. So I am wondering if someone that has been through this with there pet could tell me at what point did they feel they could let there pet be completly free/off leash ..I understand that there is always a chance for injury,,even on a healthy dog.. Thanks for any advice ...

Nigel 06-24-2014 07:02 PM

Ranger had the TPLO done last December and he only recently regained "most" of his freedom. We took him to PT for about 3 months or so to build up strength and work the injured leg to ensure he was using it 100%. I think injuring the other leg happens when the dog is allowed to run free again and is still shifting most of the work load to the good leg, not certain on this though.

hozy 06-24-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5685625)
Ranger had the TPLO done last December and he only recently regained "most" of his freedom. We took him to PT for about 3 months or so to build up strength and work the injured leg to ensure he was using it 100%. I think injuring the other leg happens when the dog is allowed to run free again and is still shifting most of the work load to the good leg, not certain on this though.

Thanks for your reply

Colie CVT 06-25-2014 12:05 AM

Nigel put it really well. The PT that you do afterward really helps to direct the body into learning how to use the leg properly. When you are healing up from any surgery, you rely a lot on the other leg and it definitely can have problems if you aren't careful. I think normally its within 6 months to a year that we see patients in for the other leg, though it may never happen or it may be only weeks after.

Being cautious and keeping to restrictions is important. The bone is usually healed by around 8 weeks, but you want to ease the leg back into working like it used to again. Dogs if left to their own devices don't understand the meaning of take it easy lol.

Gretchen 06-25-2014 12:11 AM

We are 14months post-op and the non-surgical knee is sore now. Ortho vet appt is next week. After the 1st surgery we waited until about 6 months before we did off leash things, and then they were mild, nothing crazy.

hozy 06-25-2014 08:31 AM

Thanks for all replies ,,,I will be very cautious ,, I don't want him to go through the surgery again ... He does fine on leash,,, I think he likes it ..