Glucosamine suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Glucosamine suggestions?

My pup is coming 8 months old and I'm afraid we're starting a battle with his hips. What brand of glucosamine do you recommend that is a good quality and economical at the same time? Thanks all!
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've been using products from the link below for about 3 years now with zero issues. I have 4 large athletic working dogs, which is why I make sure they're receiving their supplements along with a raw diet. This company makes a powder formula which is easy to mix in with raw or kibble, and it's much easier to feed than pills and gel tablets, etc where you end up trying to trick your dog to eat it. These dogs are smart, and are able to easily get around the "trick" to NOT eat the pill. Haha! Hope this helps. Good luck with your pup!

The Wholistic Pet

Oh, and we've used the Wholistic Canine Complete, the Joint Mobility, and the Run Free. You can read and compare the products, and also contact the company with your situation and they will email you back with their suggestions for your particular problem.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Sibe | Malamute | Wolf} 5/5/10
counter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If your pup has hip problems now, then is sounds like a genetic problem, something glucosamine won't cure.

Our vet did recommend Cosequin, but not as a cure for her knee problems but just as a preventative for her hips as she ages. (her hips are fine).
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

If you're having problems at 8 months, Glucosamine probably wont be very effective (but I would still use it to at least try to help). I have had nothing but success with getting any old human brand from the dollar store or pharmacy (whatever is on sale at the time) and using it. I got the glucosamine and chondroitin, triple strength (my boy was 125-148 lb) and it was marvelous.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

At 8 months, did you already get x-rays? That is important for records to see the progression of the HD and the arthritis later down the road. And also for treatment at this point to see what you are dealing with.

For supplements I would add Cosequin DS, it also contains chondroitin which is quite important when i researched it after my Vet told me to switch from Glycoflex2 to Cosequin DS.
You should also do your research on all the different Glucosamine supplements. All different brands have different ways (different "ingredients") to help with the HD, they all could work or they may all work for specific dog chemistries. But my recommendation is Cosequin DS.
I would also add fish oil (Be careful on making sure is quality purified of mercury, etc.)
If your dog is starting to act painful during running or even on walks, etc. You can try adding Traumeel or Zeel. Both are safe and effective if used properly I found and others also have used them on here. They both do different things so you can figure out what would be best for your pup!

With HD it's important to build muscle, this is so important later when they are older. Walking up steep hills, swimming, and moderate running (at their OWN pace) are some ways to help build muscle.
VTGirlT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know it's probably genetic and there's nothing I can do about it. But I want to do whatever I can to help him. I'm also planning to call my vet and see what he would recommend as a pain reliever.

We discussed at our last visit that he will probably have serious problems by the time he's two and we'll have to start considering options.... But that's for another day and time. For now, if he's enjoying life, I want to do whatever I can to make him comfortable.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contego View Post
I know it's probably genetic and there's nothing I can do about it. But I want to do whatever I can to help him. I'm also planning to call my vet and see what he would recommend as a pain reliever.

We discussed at our last visit that he will probably have serious problems by the time he's two and we'll have to start considering options.... But that's for another day and time. For now, if he's enjoying life, I want to do whatever I can to make him comfortable.
I wouldn't recommend using Rimadyl for the pain at any age where your pup is at.. Maybe on the except of a really bad painful day because they jumped over something while running and landed on their hips hard or something.

He is young! My vet recommended i start Carprofen when she was just under a year (life long!!!) I tried it and it helped some. But Traumeel actually helped her a lot more and still does. You can try that one and after about 1-2 months if you dont see a difference you could instead try Zeel, which i might switch to just to see. I could picture the damage of Rimadyl on her body long term and just starting at under a year..

But i would hold off on a the long term Rimadyl until he is and older man! Just my thoughts. You do whatever you think is best for your boy. But i would say trying homeopathic first, is always the best/safest option!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

You have a great attitude!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
At 8 months, did you already get x-rays? That is important for records to see the progression of the HD and the arthritis later down the road. And also for treatment at this point to see what you are dealing with.

For supplements I would add Cosequin DS, it also contains chondroitin which is quite important when i researched it after my Vet told me to switch from Glycoflex2 to Cosequin DS.
You should also do your research on all the different Glucosamine supplements. All different brands have different ways (different "ingredients") to help with the HD, they all could work or they may all work for specific dog chemistries. But my recommendation is Cosequin DS.
I would also add fish oil (Be careful on making sure is quality purified of mercury, etc.)
If your dog is starting to act painful during running or even on walks, etc. You can try adding Traumeel or Zeel. Both are safe and effective if used properly I found and others also have used them on here. They both do different things so you can figure out what would be best for your pup!

With HD it's important to build muscle, this is so important later when they are older. Walking up steep hills, swimming, and moderate running (at their OWN pace) are some ways to help build muscle.

We haven't done X-rays yet, I'm leaning towards doing it because of how he's acting. He's never had the normal activity level that he should. Last time the vet checked, his flexion was awful. And I can hardly life his leg to check for ticks if we go out in the woods.

I've been told I should just euthanize him and be done with it since he's had so many issues but I can't make that decision without X-rays to see how his his hips are and at least trying while he seems to be enjoying life.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
We haven't done X-rays yet, I'm leaning towards doing it because of how he's acting. He's never had the normal activity level that he should. Last time the vet checked, his flexion was awful. And I can hardly life his leg to check for ticks if we go out in the woods.

I've been told I should just euthanize him and be done with it since he's had so many issues but I can't make that decision without X-rays to see how his his hips are and at least trying while he seems to be enjoying life.
Wow thats a lot of negativity being thrown at you on the value of his life and his hips! There is a lot you can do for maintenance if you cant afford surgeries. But there are some surgeries out there too that could benefit him a lot if his hips ARE really bad.
Are his hips the only "issues?" I've been told to euthanize my dog too because of all of her behavioral and health problems. But their values are different than mine, and her life and the value of it are way different to me than others- so of course from the outside its a mindless and obvious fix.. to euthanize her.. But it ultimately fixes nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.