German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Glucosamine suggestions? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/463433-glucosamine-suggestions.html)

Contego 06-23-2014 04:43 PM

Glucosamine suggestions?
 
My pup is coming 8 months old and I'm afraid we're starting a battle with his hips. What brand of glucosamine do you recommend that is a good quality and economical at the same time? Thanks all!

counter 06-23-2014 05:04 PM

I've been using products from the link below for about 3 years now with zero issues. I have 4 large athletic working dogs, which is why I make sure they're receiving their supplements along with a raw diet. This company makes a powder formula which is easy to mix in with raw or kibble, and it's much easier to feed than pills and gel tablets, etc where you end up trying to trick your dog to eat it. These dogs are smart, and are able to easily get around the "trick" to NOT eat the pill. Haha! Hope this helps. Good luck with your pup!

The Wholistic Pet

Oh, and we've used the Wholistic Canine Complete, the Joint Mobility, and the Run Free. You can read and compare the products, and also contact the company with your situation and they will email you back with their suggestions for your particular problem.

Gretchen 06-23-2014 06:04 PM

If your pup has hip problems now, then is sounds like a genetic problem, something glucosamine won't cure.

Our vet did recommend Cosequin, but not as a cure for her knee problems but just as a preventative for her hips as she ages. (her hips are fine).

vicky2200 06-23-2014 07:14 PM

If you're having problems at 8 months, Glucosamine probably wont be very effective (but I would still use it to at least try to help). I have had nothing but success with getting any old human brand from the dollar store or pharmacy (whatever is on sale at the time) and using it. I got the glucosamine and chondroitin, triple strength (my boy was 125-148 lb) and it was marvelous.

VTGirlT 06-23-2014 07:27 PM

At 8 months, did you already get x-rays? That is important for records to see the progression of the HD and the arthritis later down the road. And also for treatment at this point to see what you are dealing with.

For supplements I would add Cosequin DS, it also contains chondroitin which is quite important when i researched it after my Vet told me to switch from Glycoflex2 to Cosequin DS.
You should also do your research on all the different Glucosamine supplements. All different brands have different ways (different "ingredients") to help with the HD, they all could work or they may all work for specific dog chemistries. But my recommendation is Cosequin DS.
I would also add fish oil (Be careful on making sure is quality purified of mercury, etc.)
If your dog is starting to act painful during running or even on walks, etc. You can try adding Traumeel or Zeel. Both are safe and effective if used properly I found and others also have used them on here. They both do different things so you can figure out what would be best for your pup! :)

With HD it's important to build muscle, this is so important later when they are older. Walking up steep hills, swimming, and moderate running (at their OWN pace) are some ways to help build muscle.

Contego 06-23-2014 07:29 PM

I know it's probably genetic and there's nothing I can do about it. But I want to do whatever I can to help him. I'm also planning to call my vet and see what he would recommend as a pain reliever.

We discussed at our last visit that he will probably have serious problems by the time he's two and we'll have to start considering options.... But that's for another day and time. For now, if he's enjoying life, I want to do whatever I can to make him comfortable.

VTGirlT 06-23-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contego (Post 5681601)
I know it's probably genetic and there's nothing I can do about it. But I want to do whatever I can to help him. I'm also planning to call my vet and see what he would recommend as a pain reliever.

We discussed at our last visit that he will probably have serious problems by the time he's two and we'll have to start considering options.... But that's for another day and time. For now, if he's enjoying life, I want to do whatever I can to make him comfortable.

I wouldn't recommend using Rimadyl for the pain at any age where your pup is at.. Maybe on the except of a really bad painful day because they jumped over something while running and landed on their hips hard or something.

He is young! My vet recommended i start Carprofen when she was just under a year (life long!!!) I tried it and it helped some. But Traumeel actually helped her a lot more and still does. You can try that one and after about 1-2 months if you dont see a difference you could instead try Zeel, which i might switch to just to see. I could picture the damage of Rimadyl on her body long term and just starting at under a year.. :(


But i would hold off on a the long term Rimadyl until he is and older man! Just my thoughts. You do whatever you think is best for your boy. But i would say trying homeopathic first, is always the best/safest option! :)

Gretchen 06-23-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contego (Post 5681601)
I know it's probably genetic and there's nothing I can do about it. But I want to do whatever I can to help him. I'm also planning to call my vet and see what he would recommend as a pain reliever.

We discussed at our last visit that he will probably have serious problems by the time he's two and we'll have to start considering options.... But that's for another day and time. For now, if he's enjoying life, I want to do whatever I can to make him comfortable.

You have a great attitude!

Contego 06-23-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTGirlT (Post 5681585)
At 8 months, did you already get x-rays? That is important for records to see the progression of the HD and the arthritis later down the road. And also for treatment at this point to see what you are dealing with.

For supplements I would add Cosequin DS, it also contains chondroitin which is quite important when i researched it after my Vet told me to switch from Glycoflex2 to Cosequin DS.
You should also do your research on all the different Glucosamine supplements. All different brands have different ways (different "ingredients") to help with the HD, they all could work or they may all work for specific dog chemistries. But my recommendation is Cosequin DS.
I would also add fish oil (Be careful on making sure is quality purified of mercury, etc.)
If your dog is starting to act painful during running or even on walks, etc. You can try adding Traumeel or Zeel. Both are safe and effective if used properly I found and others also have used them on here. They both do different things so you can figure out what would be best for your pup! :)

With HD it's important to build muscle, this is so important later when they are older. Walking up steep hills, swimming, and moderate running (at their OWN pace) are some ways to help build muscle.


We haven't done X-rays yet, I'm leaning towards doing it because of how he's acting. He's never had the normal activity level that he should. Last time the vet checked, his flexion was awful. And I can hardly life his leg to check for ticks if we go out in the woods.

I've been told I should just euthanize him and be done with it since he's had so many issues but I can't make that decision without X-rays to see how his his hips are and at least trying while he seems to be enjoying life.

VTGirlT 06-23-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contego (Post 5681649)
We haven't done X-rays yet, I'm leaning towards doing it because of how he's acting. He's never had the normal activity level that he should. Last time the vet checked, his flexion was awful. And I can hardly life his leg to check for ticks if we go out in the woods.

I've been told I should just euthanize him and be done with it since he's had so many issues but I can't make that decision without X-rays to see how his his hips are and at least trying while he seems to be enjoying life.

Wow thats a lot of negativity being thrown at you on the value of his life and his hips! There is a lot you can do for maintenance if you cant afford surgeries. But there are some surgeries out there too that could benefit him a lot if his hips ARE really bad.
Are his hips the only "issues?" I've been told to euthanize my dog too because of all of her behavioral and health problems. But their values are different than mine, and her life and the value of it are way different to me than others- so of course from the outside its a mindless and obvious fix.. to euthanize her.. But it ultimately fixes nothing. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2