very loose stool .. Help please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default very loose stool .. Help please

Hey guys last night when i got home i found Ace pooped in his crate then i took him out he pooped again. Then when i was cleaning his crate he pooped again.. the stool is really watery...

I took him home with me so i can take care of him better and so that my co woker doesnt have to deal with the hassle.
This morning i took him out first thing when i woke up and it was like a pudding and came out really easy just one time. i took him back up and 5 minutes he wanted to go again . I took him out and he potty but really lose.

There is nothing in the stool no blood no black stuff nothing unusual .. same with the urine.

I fed him arround 9 am then take him to the park and he pooped 2 times and very loose .

He doesnt lose appetite , still hyper as usual so i dont know whats going on. All i think of is that i changed his kibble recently.
Now im just feeding him the old one.

All i been doing for now is i gave him a table spoon of pumpkin at noon and mix pedialyte in his drink.

Advice and suggestion pls
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Chicken and white rice or hamburger and white rice... I would say ease him back into the old kibble through those foods. It is supposed to work well.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have known owners who suggest a 24 hour fast if a dog has the runs....and then reintroduce food in a very bland fashion such as Ellimaybel describes. The changes in kibble as you cited can be problematic....

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He is young. I would run a fecal at the vets. I would also go to a bland diet as well (rice and cooked meat).

With my older dogs I tend to wait a day or so to see if it resolves with a bland diet. With my pups, I usually go straight to a fecal/call the vet. I would also make sure you don't just switch kibbles cold turkey.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

im giving him 12 hrs fasting cause he only few days shy of 15 weeks. so should i give the rice and chicken after the fasting period ?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
im giving him 12 hrs fasting cause he only few days shy of 15 weeks. so should i give the rice and chicken after the fasting period ?

Sounds reasonable....perhaps a smaller amount than a normal meal.....see how he deals with it.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Ace,
Your switch to a new kibble has to be VERY slow when introducing it. Like maybe 1/8th cup at one meal only for a few days until you see if there may be an upset or not. Only adjust to an increase if stool is normal.

Also, your boy has been shuffling a lot lately, right? Stress can also cause this. So possibly the kibble change and stress????

If you do the hamburger and rice, make sure it is rinsed VERY VERY well so that there isn't a speck of grease.

My diarrhea recipe is boneless, skinless, boiled chicken breast - shredded and then mixed with even amounts of canned pumpkin (NO spices) given in small amounts, waiting for several hours, and then another small feeding. Keep him on this for several days until stool is normal and then introduce your new kibble (in your case) VERY slowly.

You can also purchase "Slippery Elm" at a health food store and open up one or two capsules on to the food. This calms the gut.

Poor guy.....hope he's better soon!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Hi Ace,
Your switch to a new kibble has to be VERY slow when introducing it. Like maybe 1/8th cup at one meal only for a few days until you see if there may be an upset or not. Only adjust to an increase if stool is normal.

Also, your boy has been shuffling a lot lately, right? Stress can also cause this. So possibly the kibble change and stress????

If you do the hamburger and rice, make sure it is rinsed VERY VERY well so that there isn't a speck of grease.

My diarrhea recipe is boneless, skinless, boiled chicken breast - shredded and then mixed with even amounts of canned pumpkin (NO spices) given in small amounts, waiting for several hours, and then another small feeding. Keep him on this for several days until stool is normal and then introduce your new kibble (in your case) VERY slowly.

You can also purchase "Slippery Elm" at a health food store and open up one or two capsules on to the food. This calms the gut.

Poor guy.....hope he's better soon!
Moms
Thanks again moms i will do that
Old 06-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

What does shuffling mean in puppy ?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just wondering, why switching foods has to be so gradual and gives such problems? What's in them that makes switching such a project?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.