German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Minocycline - Vomiting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/463089-minocycline-vomiting.html)

Jbartlett 06-22-2014 12:11 PM

Minocycline - Vomiting

does anyone have any food suggestions that will help with the side effect of vomiting with Minocycline. It is a Lymes Disease medication. He had a vaccination for Lymes at 6 months , but during his neuter surgery they dicovered during a blood test he had it but there were no symptoms, which I guess is common with the vaccine. They gave me the Minocycline to treat it however he vomits 20 min after. I have him on a raw diet, 2x pr day and he only vomits when drug is given. Has anyone found a food that will help him hold it down? I have tried pumpkin amd yogurt. Thanks

JakodaCD OA 06-22-2014 02:05 PM

are you giving it to him 'with' his meals? If not, that is a suggestion,

If you are, I would tell the vet and they may give you something else..doxy and mino can be stomache upsetting. I would also ask your vet about possibly giving him a pepcid with his meal/meds.

Jbartlett 06-22-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5675633)
are you giving it to him 'with' his meals? If not, that is a suggestion,

If you are, I would tell the vet and they may give you something else..doxy and mino can be stomache upsetting. I would also ask your vet about possibly giving him a pepcid with his meal/meds.

I am giving it with morning meal. Vet doesn't agree with raw feeding, too many dangers according to them........lack of nutrients, salmonella, ecoli and no way for correct balance etc.......Their suggestion was switching to a sensitive tummy kibble, which I am not going to do. I will ask about antacids Monday. Thanks

Saphire 06-22-2014 04:17 PM

Good thing vets are taking special care of all the coyotes dying of malnutrition, ecoli and salmonella.
Unfortunately you are not alone by having a vet that doesn't get the benefits of raw feeding. I would research yourself and make your own decision. Huge section here on this forum that details everything you could possibly want or need to know about raw feeding.

Carmspack Gus

Jbartlett 07-05-2014 10:17 AM

Update: Waiting 20 minutes after the meal to give he antibiotic solved the vomiting issue

Jax08 07-05-2014 10:20 AM

You might try giving slippery elm 30 minutes before his meals to help coat his stomach for the meds. They meds are just harsh on the system.

Sunflowers 07-05-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbartlett (Post 5675793)
I am giving it with morning meal. Vet doesn't agree with raw feeding, too many dangers according to them........lack of nutrients, salmonella, ecoli and no way for correct balance etc.......Their suggestion was switching to a sensitive tummy kibble, which I am not going to do. I will ask about antacids Monday. Thanks

Vet has no clue.

LisaT 07-05-2014 04:54 PM

You probably want to give some liver support while treating with minocycline. It can sometimes have harsher effects than doxycycline, though may be better for neuro lyme.

LisaT 07-05-2014 05:25 PM

Oh, please do not continue to give the lyme vaccine. Giving the lyme vaccine to a dog that has already had lyme may create a very chronic form of treatment resistant lyme, and may also speed up the formation of arthritis.

gsdsar 07-05-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaT (Post 5734041)
Oh, please do not continue to give the lyme vaccine. Giving the lyme vaccine to a dog that has already had lyme may create a very chronic form of treatment resistant lyme, and may also speed up the formation of arthritis.

Can you post a link to peer reviewed study about this please? I have never heard this and would like to research.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App