German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   7 month old with severe HD. Advice?! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/462681-7-month-old-severe-hd-advice.html)

ShayleeThibodeaux 06-20-2014 10:40 PM

7 month old with severe HD. Advice?!

We found out Monday that our 7 month old GS has a severe case of bilateral HD. The vet gave us the medicine options (costly per month & could lead to more issues) & said she wanted to perform FHO (on both sides, two months apart). We are going to seek other opinions at another vet, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried different routes with their dogs. We have an inground pool & have been swimming with her every day this week. Could this kind of exercise & changing her diet possibly make it to where she will not need surgery or depend on medicine to live a better life? Has anyone had luck with the surgery, did it lead to more problems like we are fearing? I would LOVE any advice! Anything that will help the decision of surgery. I just do not want to see her suffer any more. Thanks in advance!

ShayleeThibodeaux 06-20-2014 10:41 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that she has been taking Dasuquin (2 per day joint health supplement) since Monday. Any experience with this joint supplement?

Bob_McBob 06-20-2014 10:44 PM

Do you have a copy of her x-rays?

carmspack 06-20-2014 10:45 PM

By all means do get another Vet opinion.

Do contact the breeder . They need to know what their stock is producing .

If guarantees were offered , provide breeder with Vet's opinion or OFA opinion , and take advantage of those guarantees .

Severe bi-lateral , you aren't going to effect changes but you can do your best to prevent inflammation .

ShayleeThibodeaux 06-20-2014 10:48 PM

No, I should have asked for them. I will try to get them. They were both clearly not fitted in the socket properly. Her left worse than the right. The vet said it was severe for only 7 months old.

ShayleeThibodeaux 06-20-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5671249)
By all means do get another Vet opinion.

Do contact the breeder . They need to know what their stock is producing .

If guarantees were offered , provide breeder with Vet's opinion or OFA opinion , and take advantage of those guarantees .

Severe bi-lateral , you aren't going to effect changes but you can do your best to prevent inflammation .

Thanks for the advice. We were debating on contacting, but now that we are learning more and more about this we will definitely be contacting them.

wyominggrandma 06-21-2014 09:36 AM

]Had FHO surgery done on both my girls hips She was about a year old and after surgery she did search and rescue for 9 years

ShayleeThibodeaux 06-21-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 5672409)
]Had FHO surgery done on both my girls hips She was about a year old and after surgery she did search and rescue for 9 years

That's awesome! Gives me some relief! What joint supplements was she on after??

jocoyn 06-21-2014 01:10 PM

Did you see the regular vet or an ortho vet? Any surgery I would do would be with someone who has a solid track record with the procedure.

My experience with the ortho vet was caution before going into surgery. According to all rehab folks I have talked with, swimming is not the best exercise for bad hips.......walking in water is.......as well as uphill walking, range of motion exercises, and other leg exercises. I had one who was severe at 3 and the vet did not recommend surgery for her....but said each dog is different.