Worm issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worm issues

Does anyone know what specific worms look like. My puppy is on dewormer and poops out the round rice like looking worms that extend and today he pooped out something that looked like pasta, flat. He pooped out several of them and they were really long.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I called the vet they said it may be tapeworms but I want to be sure that it isn't tapeworms as he is on a dewormer. And I don't want to keep vaccinating him if not necessary.

I'm not sure if its roundworms or tapeworms or maybe even both, any help?
wolfie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like tapeworm. Good thing you are deworming. Google it and I'm sure you will find pictures.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did google it, I think they all look pretty similarly. It may just be tapeworms and the dewormer probably wasn't affecting those specific worms.
I'm just worried cause after pooping them out today he has yet to eat anything. He's drank some water about 75% of a cup throughout the entire day from morning till 2pm.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

The dewormer SHOULD kill tapeworm as they are common. What is the dewormer?

Drinking if more important than eating. Flavor some water with a bit of chicken broth to get him a bit more excited about drinking.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

The roundworms I have seen were like 3-5" long, like an angelhair pasta and pointed on the ends.

He could have both.

Your best course of action is to bring a fecal sample to the vet so they can test for eggs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I called the vet earlier and they said that there dewormer doesn't kill tapeworms. That's what they said.

yes, I think he may have both. I'm wondering if I should wait and do fecal sample first then wait till Monday for results or get the tapeworm medicine.

I don't like the whole vaccinating thing and I don't want to over vaccinate him.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Intestinal parasites and vaccines are completely different things.

Get the tape worm meds and take a stool sample with you to the vet so they can figure out what the others are.

Most puppy dewormers do not cover tapeworm. You need to figure out where your pup got the tapeworms. Most commonly it's from fleas or ingesting small rodents.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 06-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

He had like 2 ticks on him and a couple flees. He's on something for the flees though.

Is it normal for him to be very lethargic? He's had these worms since I got him. I thought they were roundworms but they may not have been. His energy and eating habits have never been this low before. I mean it's the afternoon he hasn't eaten he hasn't played. Just now he peed indoors and didn't even whine to go outside to pee. Usually he does.

I'm not sure if all of these are coalescing or not. I'm worried about him though.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would take him to the vet. If he's battling a lot of parasites, I imagine he will feel lethargic.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dewormers are very species-specific. Tapes can also require multiple rounds of deworming. If you've got tapes, you likely also have fleas as fleas transmit them. Even if they're not jumping off, look very carefully on the dog's tummy and inner thighs for black specks that look like pepper (flea dirt--the telltale sign).

Once your vet does a fecal test, ask your vet about whether you need a script for Drontal Plus (RX only, from your vet). It's expensive ($30-50 for one dose), but it works. It's way, way better than OTC stuff you get on your own--our vet uses it often in rescue, and it takes care of them in one dose usually, even with bad worm loads.

You shouldn't have to wait for results til Monday on the fecal sample -- they just need to have a vet tech put it on a slide and pop it under a microscope. It's an in-house, 5-minute thing usually. It shouldn't need to be sent out. We usually can get dewormer same-day from our vet.

ETA: while he's there, I'd be tempted to have them run a test for tick-borne diseases too...

Last edited by Magwart; 06-20-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.