German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   GSD 6yr old digestive Stomach issues> NEED HELP (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/462105-gsd-6yr-old-digestive-stomach-issues-need-help.html)

deelaw 06-19-2014 02:11 PM

GSD 6yr old digestive Stomach issues> NEED HELP

Hello,

I have a 6 yr old German Shepherd Maxemus. He is a beautiful dog from a great breed line. Unfortunately I have had chronic digestive issues with him for a very long time.

He gets chronic diarrhea or soft stool and it lasts for a long while. He goes through rough weight fluctuations because of the diarrhea. He will eat a full bowl of food only for it to come out of him. He doesn't hold his weight.

His vet and i have tried some many different medical things over the years to help with his stool, from antibiotics to steroids to tylan powder to glutamine. Even trying to put him on probiotics but it all seems to only temporarily help. His stool would harden only for a few weeks later to be complete liquid. Its hard to see. He would put on great weight when his stool hardens but looses it all with his issues.

When he was younger i used to give him, in addition to his kibble, table food or treats. I have now, for about a year or so, stopped giving anything except for his kibble.

He has been on a grain free diet for years, i would say four years. I started him on Wellness grain free but he has now been on Natural Balance fish and sweet potato diet for the past two years.

I just don't know what to do anymore and the vet bills are racking up only to leave me a mess of diarrhea all around my property. I hate seeing him like this. I want him to hold his weight. Though his temperament and drive has not been affected. He is still the high energy and driven dog that he has been since a pup. He comes from champion schutzhund lines and has shown his lineage since a pup.

If any German Shepherd breeders or owners can be of solid help, please i am open....

Thank you,

Lee

Jax08 06-19-2014 02:21 PM

Has he been tested for IBD? EPI? SIBO?

wyoung2153 06-19-2014 02:23 PM

If all medical issues have been checked (I can't list what they are because I'm not too knowledgable on those specifically), I would try a food allergy test maybe? And maybe even switch to a raw diet.. have you tried that already? or tried switching his food?

Gretchen 06-19-2014 02:27 PM

Does he do well on a home cooked diet? Have your tried a bland diet like a doggie stew of broth, chicken, white rice and maybe soft cooked vegetables?

Our dog was at the vet every three weeks for diarrhea. I did some home cooked food for almost a week and realized she did well on it. The issue was I was concerned about her getting all the supplements and vitamins. I found this website and read about raw feeding. I was a bit afraid to try it, but a few others had mentioned the Honest Kitchen brand, which is dehydrated raw and that basically cured our problem.
It seemed our dog could not handle kibble - it may be the texture was too upsetting.

Heidigsd 06-19-2014 03:00 PM

Hi Lee,

do you remember what tests have been done by your vet? Take a look at this site, unfortunately many GSD's have EPI, I hope he doesn't have it :(

EPI in Snapshots - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

deelaw 06-19-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5664513)
Has he been tested for IBD? EPI? SIBO?

I will ask my vet as she has been quite amazing. She has been with us from the beginning. We have done so many tests on him and have tried even giving him enzyme supplements...

deelaw 06-19-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5664521)
If all medical issues have been checked (I can't list what they are because I'm not too knowledgable on those specifically), I would try a food allergy test maybe? And maybe even switch to a raw diet.. have you tried that already? or tried switching his food?

We have tried the allergy test...

I have yet to try the raw food diet. I have heard great things about it but have been hesitant because of his issues...

But i am seriously considering it now

deelaw 06-19-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 5664537)
Does he do well on a home cooked diet? Have your tried a bland diet like a doggie stew of broth, chicken, white rice and maybe soft cooked vegetables?

Our dog was at the vet every three weeks for diarrhea. I did some home cooked food for almost a week and realized she did well on it. The issue was I was concerned about her getting all the supplements and vitamins. I found this website and read about raw feeding. I was a bit afraid to try it, but a few others had mentioned the Honest Kitchen brand, which is dehydrated raw and that basically cured our problem.
It seemed our dog could not handle kibble - it may be the texture was too upsetting.

Im actually going to cook him some white rice and bland chicken for tonight. Im hoping this helps or at least somewhat hardens his stool.
his stool was completely liquid this morning so I'm hoping for anything.

deelaw 06-19-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidigsd (Post 5664601)
Hi Lee,

do you remember what tests have been done by your vet? Take a look at this site, unfortunately many GSD's have EPI, I hope he doesn't have it :(

EPI in Snapshots - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Thank you so much.
I will forward this with the link to my vet!!!

deelaw 06-19-2014 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Maxemus :)