German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Hematoma after Neutering (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/461769-hematoma-after-neutering.html)

Jewly 06-18-2014 07:06 PM

Hematoma after Neutering

3 Attachment(s)
Hello dear GSD owners,

On Saturday I brought my 1 year old Archie to get Neutered (This decision had to be made if he was to continue being allowed in the very limited option of dog parks in NYC). The Vet misjudged and sized his post op cone incorrectly allowing him to have full access to his wound which he went to park with over night while we all slept. Next morning he was in excruciating pain with his empty sacks looking like grapefruits (Ouch!) Brought him back to the Vet ASAP and he shaved him more to let the wound breathe (hes a long haired boy) thinking this will improve the discomfort. Monday came around and things turned for the worse, we brought him to a emergency clinic where he was put on a serious regime of pain meds and was given a cone longer than my own body.

List of meds - Started Monday
Tramadol (50mg) every 12 hours
Rimadyl (75mg) 3 every 8-12 hours
Acepromazinr (25mg) only to help sedate him a bit when the pain meds are still not helping

Its Wed. now and the "sack" is finally starting to look a little less angry (see pix) and no longer swelling more. However, as soon as the pain medication begins to wear off he is just as in much pain as he was from day 1. The medication is the only thing allowing him to lay comfortably and keeping him still.

He absolutely does not allow me to compress the area or clean the stitches (which are still oozing a bit). Even when sedated he will jump right up and RUN.

Im wondering if anyone has ever experienced something similar with their pooch and can offer some positive news to this whole experience. How long does this pain typically last? How long does it take for them to fully recover from a testicular hematoma? :help:

Poor Archie :gsdhead:

lalachka 06-18-2014 07:19 PM

i'm in NYC also, but did you really neuter him just for the dog parks?

sorry, i can't help with your question and i hope he gets better soon

Jewly 06-18-2014 07:23 PM

Dog parks are one reason, the herd of unaltered females in my apartment building is another.

Thanks for dropping by.

lalachka 06-18-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewly (Post 5660289)
Dog parks are one reason, the herd of unaltered females in my apartment building is another.

Thanks for dropping by.

lolollo @ herd of unaltered females

Sunflowers 06-18-2014 07:26 PM

Awwww... Poor Archie!

I would think he will be OK in a couple of weeks. There was a poster whose dog had complications like that, let me see if I can find that thread.

my boy diesel 06-18-2014 07:27 PM

it will eventually go away, but yeah it is tough when they wont let you ice it

Jewly 06-18-2014 07:54 PM

Thank you in advance for looking and thank you for the well wishes :)

Sunflowers 06-18-2014 08:13 PM

Didn't find the one I was thinking of, but there are many others:

Welcome to the official home of the German Shepherd Dog, a dog respected and admired throughout the world for its versatility, loyalty and intelligence. - Search Results for Swelling after neuter

Jewly 06-18-2014 09:32 PM

Thank you!

ZoeD1217 06-18-2014 09:46 PM

That happened to my significant other after his vasectomy. He was in excruciating pain... but his hematoma didn't go away and they had to go in and do another surgery. Hopefully if you are already seeing improvement it's just a matter of time before he's feeling better. I have no experience with pain meds for dogs but I can certainly imagine how hard it is to see him in pain {{hugs}} poor Archie :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App