Liver supplement advice needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Liver supplement advice needed

Allie, my GSD, has been diagnosed with autoimmune polyarthritis. it was discussed in this thread High fever - no diagnosis

Allie is currently on prednisone - 5 mg in the am and 5 mg in the pm; goal has been to reduce the pred however everytime we take it below this dosage, Allie’s fever goes up and she has significant joint pain. It is only alleviated with a higher dose of pred.

We are now on 10 mg and 10 mg for the next two days, then will try 5 and 5 and but reduce to 5 and 2.5 every other day, i.e. Monday 5 and 5, Tues. 5 and 2.5 and Wed. 5 and 5

My vet wants to give Allie supplements for her liver. She mentioned Marin by Nutramax and one other supplement - cannot recall the name - I think it was SamE. However, Marin has pork in it and Allie is allergic to pork products of any kind. She may have mentioned Denamarin and/or SamE - it may be Denamarin. I will be discussing this with her on Thursday. I did discover that it may only be the chewables that have pork in the tablets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for supplements for liver health?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I want to say milk thistle. This is what was recommended to me for my dogs after they take their heartworm medicine. I was told it was to support the liver.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes Milk thistle and dandelion root.

You can assist detoxification of the liver by removing all processed food (kibble) and treats (i.e. milkbones or any starch laden anything)...if you are giving any type of "jerky" treat even if said made in the USA...NO more. Includes chicken, duck, sweet potato

You should look NEM as joint supplement. Very effective and fast acting.

Curcumin (95% standardized extract of turmeric) for inflammation. Boswellia is also used along side of curcumin and is noted for rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune)
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a dog on seizure meds since 2005 so I have had to be proactive with her liver values. Kiya is 10yrs old, 113lbs and is currently on 2000mg silimarin milkthistle, 1000mg turmeric and a partial home cooked liver cleansing diet plus all her meds.her liver values were in the 600's range last year but she's been on meds since 2005. The only thing I changed is I only use sweet potatoes and chicken.
Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry about your dog.
Very good advice from Gator, Lombardo, and Kyia.

You may also want to add some Natural Whole Food Products from Standard Process. If your vet won't order it, let me know and I can find an outlet for you. Below are a few to choose from.

Canine Hepatic Support

The liver is a complex organ that interacts with most organs in the body, including the intestinal tract, cardiovascular system, kidneys, and autonomic nervous system. Nutritional support for the liver must address these interactions to be effective.

Canine Hepatic Support is formulated to support:

*Liver metabolism
*Hepatic circulation
*Bile production and flow
*Hepatic immune function

Indications for Use:

*General hepatic support
*Patients with increased metabolic demand
*Patients in need of additional hepatic support as indicated by ALT, alkaline phosphatase, bile acids studies, low BUN, liver histopathology, or ultrasound

Canine Musculoskeletal Support

The canine musculoskeletal system has many components: bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, blood vessels, and organs that support these tissues including the liver, kidneys, and adrenal glands.

Provide a wide range of essential nutrients
Helps maintain optimal health and function
Helps tissues respond to extra demands by promoting regeneration

Indications for Use:

General growth support
Performance/working animals
Senior animals
General musculoskeletal support
Neuromuscular disorders

Canine Immune System Support

The immune system is a complex array of cells that are found throughout the body. Immune cells are designed to work in conjunction with other immune cells to provide a defense against unwanted invaders. The complexity of the immune system requires a multidimensional approach of nutritional factors. The nutritional support of the immune system is directed at facilitating normal function and is not intended to be suppressive or stimulating.

Canine Immune System Support:

*Provides nutritional and biochemical support for healthy immune cells and tissues
*Supporting optimal immune protection

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you so much; I am going to summarize for my vet and research myself also.
Allie has Immune-mediated polyarthritis, non erosive - the doctor terms it autoimmune polyarthritis. There is no cure and she will have to be on medication for life. It is a strange disease - high fevers, colitis, trouble breathing lameness - any of these can appear without notice. However, she is doing much better now that we know what she has and it is being treated. Her blood work shows a fairly normal liver function but the doctor said she needs liver supplements as pred is very hard on her liver.
Again, thank you so much.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Whatever you do. NEVER EVER vaccinate her again. I hope your vet advised you it is not safe to vaccinate an animal with auto immune disease.

I hope the vet didn't do any vaccines at anytime you were going through the ordeal in your other thread, or at first sign or anytime of illness.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Whatever you do. NEVER EVER vaccinate her again. I hope your vet advised you it is not safe to vaccinate an animal with auto immune disease.

I hope the vet didn't do any vaccines at anytime you were going through the ordeal in your other thread, or at first sign or anytime of illness.
YES....this!
Your dog can get a Rabies exemption (in some states) due to illness and if he has been vaccinated for other you most likely won't need anymore.

Dr. Ron Schultz Immunity Challenge:
Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines:

Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology

Lifelong Immunity – Why Vets Are Pushing Back | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

My vet does not vaccinate dogs over a certain age and did not do Allie's vaccinations in 2013 when she was due (we move to LV in late 2012); when she is due for rabies, she will get an exemption.
Dr. C also does not want Allie on heart worm medication - we have very little in Las Vegas.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Hope Allie feels better!

To those who have given Milk Thistle, how much do you give?
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.