German Shepherds Forum banner

Does anyone have a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Gretchen 
#1 ·
How long was it before your dog needed a 2nd TPLO knee surgery after the first? Molly had her 1st surgery 14 months ago and of course just when I feel like she's really made progress with healing and getting back to normal activities, she is toe tapping and not bearing full weight on her non-surgical knee. The vet warned us this would happen, just curious if there is a typical time period before the 2nd knee goes out.

#5 ·
I had a dog that had two done. It was a while ago, but to the best of my recollection we did them approximately one year apart. At the time we had the first one done, we knew that the other would have to be done as well. We did the worst one first, rehabbed it and gave the dog some time, and then did the other. I don't know if there is a typical time and don't recall any specific recommendation from the vet on this. Our decisions were driven based on the dog's condition and quality of life.

#7 ·
Thanks for your concern.
We haven't got the "official" diagnosis from the vet yet, but I am too well aware of the signs. I'm not looking forward to keeping her calm and downstairs which means sleeping next to her on the sofa for 3 months. My daughter helps too, but we got a cheap, uncomfortable couch.

#9 ·
I haven't personally had a dog with TPLO repairs. However, I know a couple of working dogs that went on fine after the surgeries. One just got her TR2 in tracking last year, the other has multiple rally and OB titles. One just joined out club, and she is starting bite work soon. Another has been working in bitework for a year since both of hers. TPLO repairs are my worst fear, but the dogs I know with them are all happy and involved in sport. Most of them had the second one blow within a year (I believe), I think I only know of one that only had one happen. Good luck, sorry you're going through this.

#10 ·
We very often do bilateral TPLO surgeries where I work. We actually did one this past friday on a rottie that was barely over a year. Normally it seems like if they are going to have trouble with the other leg, it is about a year out. Some dogs never do. We did a study comparing the TPLO to the TTA, and some of the dogs ended up having both of them done within the year time frame (which kind of changed their status in the study).

Least the upside is that with the TPLO we didn't tend to see dogs back for limping on the same leg because they tore their meniscus about 6 months out if it hadn't been at time of surgery. xD

#11 ·
I wonder if anyone has an older dog with a tplo and how they are holding up in their senior years?

I'm sorry Molly shows symptoms in her other leg, I know she had some set backs, but I was really hoping it would be minor and she'd be free to run. There is a lot of work, time and stress that goes along with the surgery/recovery and the poor pups having to be confined is no fun for them either. :(

#13 ·
So I'm 4 for 4 on blown dog knees in my short dog ownership history. Here's the not-so-quick and dirty.
Ronen: male neutered great dane (backyard breeder); blew left stifle at 11 months, had to wait for growth plates to close before we could do surgery. In the meantime acquired a staph infection, further delaying surgery, also probably accelerating the 2nd stifle blowing at 13-14 months. Waited for staph infection to clear, 1st surgery(left) then did the 2nd surgery (right). 2 metal plates and 13 screws in each knee (this was 2004).
He was on cosequin for the first few years, then switched to dasiquin around 2010. I also did accupuncture for 3 months when he was 8. He lived to be 9, I put him down last August. He had a fantastic life and I would do it all again.

My greatest regret was not seeking a more thorough rehab hospital/program. To spend that much money on surgery was a mistake on my part. I don't believe rehab would have extended his life, but I do believe it would have helped with the significant arthritis he had due to these terrible knees.

Bailey: female spayed mutt (found on the side of the road in MS). Blew out her left knee at 9 years old, but did not do TPLO (she was 50lbs) but I'd have to check her records to remember which type of surgery she had. Recovery was terrible, her patella was "over-tightened" during surgery so it luxated; follow up surgery to further loosen patella with minimal significant results, still a "hitch in her giddy-up" if you will. She went to therapy/rehab twice a week for several weeks: stability work, underwater treadmill. Sadly Bailey blew out her right knee on 5/3, I found her in the backyard unable to walk...since the left did not recover well, the right was her "good" knee. I put her down that night, knowing that at 11, and with summer just beginning, surgery and restrictions/pain meds was no way for her to live...

A few things to consider:
-good rehab veg
-laser therapy post-op and on the original knee
-weight management
-success rate of TPLO

hope this helps...and humor me, now that I'm talking about them I feel the need to show you their pics

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.