Does anyone have a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Does anyone have a dog that had 2 TPLO surgeries?

How long was it before your dog needed a 2nd TPLO knee surgery after the first? Molly had her 1st surgery 14 months ago and of course just when I feel like she's really made progress with healing and getting back to normal activities, she is toe tapping and not bearing full weight on her non-surgical knee. The vet warned us this would happen, just curious if there is a typical time period before the 2nd knee goes out.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Dane had this happen. It was 3 months between tearing the first cruciate to the 2nd. We waited 3 months between surgeries.
joneser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

With our Troidog, it was about two years. She blew one knee out at around the age of 8 and two years later, the other one went.

Her sister had a TPLO at around 3 and never had another one.
Hope all goes well with Molly.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneser View Post
My Dane had this happen. It was 3 months between tearing the first cruciate to the 2nd. We waited 3 months between surgeries.
Wow, that must have been rough on you and your dog. Over time did the surgeries hold up well and did your dog have a good quality life?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a dog that had two done. It was a while ago, but to the best of my recollection we did them approximately one year apart. At the time we had the first one done, we knew that the other would have to be done as well. We did the worst one first, rehabbed it and gave the dog some time, and then did the other. I don't know if there is a typical time and don't recall any specific recommendation from the vet on this. Our decisions were driven based on the dog's condition and quality of life.
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crap, Molly needs the other side done for sure? Sucks to hear this.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Crap, Molly needs the other side done for sure? Sucks to hear this.
Thanks for your concern.
We haven't got the "official" diagnosis from the vet yet, but I am too well aware of the signs. I'm not looking forward to keeping her calm and downstairs which means sleeping next to her on the sofa for 3 months. My daughter helps too, but we got a cheap, uncomfortable couch.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for everyone's input. Did you feel your dogs had a good quality of life after both knees were repaired?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. Did you feel your dogs had a good quality of life after both knees were repaired?
I haven't personally had a dog with TPLO repairs. However, I know a couple of working dogs that went on fine after the surgeries. One just got her TR2 in tracking last year, the other has multiple rally and OB titles. One just joined out club, and she is starting bite work soon. Another has been working in bitework for a year since both of hers. TPLO repairs are my worst fear, but the dogs I know with them are all happy and involved in sport. Most of them had the second one blow within a year (I believe), I think I only know of one that only had one happen. Good luck, sorry you're going through this.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

We very often do bilateral TPLO surgeries where I work. We actually did one this past friday on a rottie that was barely over a year. Normally it seems like if they are going to have trouble with the other leg, it is about a year out. Some dogs never do. We did a study comparing the TPLO to the TTA, and some of the dogs ended up having both of them done within the year time frame (which kind of changed their status in the study).

Least the upside is that with the TPLO we didn't tend to see dogs back for limping on the same leg because they tore their meniscus about 6 months out if it hadn't been at time of surgery. xD
Colie CVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.